Author Topic: The History Page  (Read 1798 times)

Alaskan Ogre

The History Page
« on: August 18, 2010, 02:45:49 PM »
I created a History page over on the Main Menu.

In building this page I researched hundreds of pages to try making the page as accurate as possible. many of the pages I visited had duplicated the info over on Wikipedia which I do not fully trust as anyone can edit that page.

I\'d really like to add more detail to each model such as what different trims were available, what the trims consisted of, and any other options available throughout the various years.

If you see any errors I have made on the page let me know.

TIA

alaskan ogre

The History Page
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:15:50 AM »
Originally posted by Rokebop:

The main differance between the feroza I (f300) and feroza II (f310) is that the Feroza II is what is in Australia refered to as the \'WideTrack\'. Widetracks were introduced in 1992 and continued to be sold, at least in our market alongside the \'Narrow track\' until 1997, when the Feroza was replaced by the Terrios. In the US I believe that they only ever sold WideTracks. The wide tracks chassis is belled out at the front or something and has large plastic flares over the guards. The narrow track does not need these flares, however some models were sold with narrower flares as well, for some reason.it probably has slightly differant axlesand stuff but is otherwise pretty much the same

The first ones off the line (like mine) had very basic \'millitary Jeep like\' setups. No p/s, no plastic interior trim, a/c or any of the sfformentioned stuff.. Gradually over time Power windows and mirrors, thermo fans, the\'black box\', softer rear leaf springs, power steering, 3 stage automatic shock absorbers, guard flares, sporty front seats, split rear seats, AC, plastic interior trim and other bells and whistles were introduced. The engine bay of an 89 model is barron in comarison to a 97. There was also an aniversary edition in 1995 that came out that had Alloy wheels and a colour coded roof. There was also a lot of Soft tops sold initially. Generally at least in Australia they where always Red (full soft top) and White (half soft top). I think the soft top models got phased out in about 92. Most flat Red Ferozas I think all started out as soft tops

Ripped from another site. Interchangeability of parts. this was written by the guy with that mental blue feroza ute thing in the pictures sector

Rear axle assembly is different but centres interchange.
Chassis is different - later is belled out in front of firewall ( bad thing that\'s where they bend.... )

Front suspension / brakes ( variations ) are interchangable
Steering drag link is different
Engine is interchangable
Gearbox/Transfer interchanges.
Driveshafts are longer on widetrack, but actual CV\'s are identical and can be swapped to narrow track axles.

Body trim levels may be different but bits will swap as required.... eg power windows will fit into early doors etc etc.....

Guards and flares will swap over as will bumpers / tail lights.

All in all most bits will be useable if you need them.

more of the same thing. same guy, differant context

I can\'t resist.....

This is what my research on the actual differences between a narrow and wide track are....

1/ Chassis rails are wider at the front - note the suspension is exactly the same.

2/ The front drive & steering is different to make up for the extra width.

3/ The rear axle is wider and has different lower shock mounts.

4/ The body mounts are different ( can\'t interchange bodies ).

5/ Has ventilated front disks and wider calipers, which some narrows didn\'t.

6/ Bolt on Flares, wider front bumper.

So can you convert ? Not with factory parts.

Can you convert anyway ? Yes - and its got significant advantages in that the narrow and widetracks have exactly the same front suspension travel ( SFA ) - but widening a narrow gives greater travel and ride height ( depending on arm angles ).
It also means you can fit MUCH larger tyres (37\"+) with zero rim offset before you come anywhere near touching the chassis at full lock ( panel work is a different issue, but still better than wide rims ) so its kind to bearings and your scrub radius isn\'t affected. This happens without going to ridiculous levels of lift like some have ended up with.

Widening also means you can change rear axles so locking becomes possible for \"reasonable\" money, and you can use a much stronger diff.

Would either be easily engineered - NO. There\'s a lot of parts to be made, and if you have to pay someone else to do it - it would cost a fortune. Someone on here was quoted around a $1000 just to lengthen the lower arms - and that\'s just the start....... My guess would be around $10,000 to do - assuming \"drive in - drive out \" and that\'s without the legalities.

And after all that... your still left with the unsatisfactory transmission and transfer ratios of narrow and widetrack

So as part of a \"grand plan\" that you can do substantially by yourself then its doable .

This is where you need to end up IMO :

Widened front
Rear to match ( and stronger )
Locked Front and Rear
Automatic
Different transfer and gears
Turbo or Supercharged
34\"+ tyres.

The rare as hens teeth predecessor to the feroza / rocky. I believe people refer to it as the SCAT.

www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_daihatsu_f20.htm

Good history on what is in Australia, I rocky. Full metal hard tops were initially produced in the same shape

www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/car_info_daihatsu_rocky.htm

il add more stuff later

alaskan ogre

The History Page
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 03:18:06 AM »
Rokbebop -

This is really good stuff! This is exactly what I was looking for, keep it coming.