Author Topic: Clutch / Clutch Kits  (Read 12324 times)

Offline lioncubb

Re:Clutch / Clutch Kits
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »
Pink goes faster...LOL
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

neen

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »
Pink is trouble...might cost you more money down the road.

Just saying.

alaskan ogre

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 11:57:38 PM »
Must\'ve had a sale on pink paint, or maybe Exedy is run by chicks now.

rokbebop

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2010, 12:01:09 AM »
Pink for punnishment :laugh:

williamJ.au

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2011, 07:23:31 AM »
Hi Bill / Everyone,

Happy new year 2011.

It wasn\'t a great start to me. I got my clutch burnt when I was in the otways. around 200ks away from home.

I got the HD kit from a dealer too, thanks bill for your info on price and part number etc....
two reasons I call help here.

I had difficulties changing gears sometime, when I read about the job,
http://www.ehow.com/way_5885705_do-turn-flywheel-replace-clutch_.html

this says I might need to change /replace the flywheel too...... Should I buy it ? any recommendation???

2... Spoke to few mechanics , some doesn\'t know what is feroza??? some thing this is a family sedan????
 some are asking about $1000- $1200 just to replace the unit. I\'m still looking around for a mechanic... many of them are sounds doggy....
 Dai auto people (daihatsu parts dealer in near melbourne)  are seams still on holiday.....

Does anyone know good feroza mechanic????

thanks
Will

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »
You really shouldnt have to resurface the flywheel ( wouldnt hurt ),but not neccesary. You could always DIY, the manuals on this sight will lead you through it. The easiest way to do it in my opinion is to pull the motor, alot easier than trying to drop the trans and TC.

neen

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2011, 10:35:42 AM »
Dropping the transmission is much easier than pulling the engine on our rides.  You will be able to change the clutch in about 5-6 hours.  I would recommend resurfacing the flywheel especially if you ran your clutch to the very end of it\'s life.  Chances are your flywheel is most likely scored and will substantially reduce the life of the new clutch.

Clutches are under $200...machining the flywheel is about $60.  For under $300 bones you can get it back on the road as long as you don\'t mind getting a bit dirty.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
Just my opinion obviously theres more than one way, I thought pulling the motor was pretty easy, Good luck either way:)

Offline wiesel42

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2011, 06:12:39 PM »
Me and my brother changed my clutch back in the summer....it took about two days, but we kinda messed around a bit and kinda did more beer drinking than clutch changing....LOL....I got my clutch from here:

http://www.samuraiparts.com/

They have Rocky parts too.....clutches, tune-ups, stuff like that....

Anyway, my clutch wasn\'t wore at all, but the springs in the middle were very week and the pressure plate was wore out.  Apartently my clutch cable failed partially and let the throwout bearing ride against the pressure plate.  

It was very strange how my clutch went......It only slipped in fourth gear.  First gear through third gear it was fine, but in fourth gear it would slip so bad it wouldn\'t take hold, and then in fifth it was fine.

I didn\'t resurface my fly wheel at all....i checked it and it was smooth and not discolored from heat at all.....I did use some fine sandpaper and just slightly rub it then cleaned it thoroughly with brake parts cleaner (leaves no residue).  Then back together she went.  Refilled the cases with Amsoil synethetic lubricant.  

After a 2000 miles or so all is well.

rokbebop

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:55:34 AM »
I do not know how the hell you backyarder types go , dropping the trans and replacing it without a hoist. I may be wrong, but i would guess that this is a massive pain in the arse and nearly impossible. Possible extremely frustrating as well. I read 14WP\'s account of replacing his own clutch and decided against it.

I payed $550 labour to get this job done, but my mechanic is the kind of guy that is good and honest and has plenty of work to do all the time, as apposed to the plethora of surrounding wankers, that try to rip me off because the honest guy takes all their customers. I got the flywheel done for this price too. hope that helps dude. Look for a place that is accredited by what ever the Victorian version of the RAA or NRMA is. Those guys have guidelines

The flywheel only needs to be turned if you completely wreck the clutch.

This new Exedy HD one that I got is Waaaaaaaaaayy better than the last one, which turned out to be the stock one it got in the factory. ol\' Bertha did 240 000 kms on one clutch. The new one doesnt burn under the same circumstances the last one did, which is why i spent the extra money. Im glad that i did

neen

« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 08:35:58 AM »
There\'s really only two difficult parts when changing the clutch on our rides:
1) Getting all the bellhousing bolts loose
2) Making sure the (new) clutch is seated correctly and getting the input shaft aligned.

If you have a transmission jack the operation will be a piece of cake.  I had just a normal hydraulic floor jack and a helping set of hands.  The shift levers tend to get bound up when clearing the body so you have to drop the rear of the trans down pretty far, insert the input shaft then carefully raise the rear while applying pressure in a forward motion.

$500 for a clutch replacement is a great deal so if you can find that somewhere locally jump on it.  Most places run around a grand for a clutch replacement.

alaskan ogre

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 12:39:47 PM »
When I first got my Rocky I had to replace the clutch and I did it by dropping the trans. I wouldn\'t do it that way again after finding out how simple it is to just pop the motor out with the trans.

When I did put it back in I didn\'t have a trans jack, just a regular floor jack. I found that if you bolt the crossmember back onto the trans it will help give you perfect alignment to slide it into the clutch.

Offline wiesel42

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 04:08:11 PM »
Honestly, I didn\'t think it was all that bad.  We only had trouble lifting the tranny off the ground because of the dead weight.  I didn\'t have a tranny jack and my floor jack would support it.  I have two sets of ramps and i pulled the Rocky up on on all four ramps one under each wheel.  During the whole process the most difficult part was breaking the crossmember bolts loose.  We are talking about bolts that had been there from 1992 to 2010.  We did good though out of the 8 bolts only one snapped, and the only other bolt that snapped was a shifter boot bolt.  We we put it back together we drilled out the crossmember bolt that snapped and I used a grade 8 bolt nut and lock washer.  

I followed the book by the letter.  Pulled the shifter out of the tranny and pulled the transfer shift lever out as well.  

But with having three of these rigs i\'m sure I\'ll have to do it again.  I think I will definately invest in a tranny jack.

williamJ.au

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »
hi guys,

thanks for all your comments....

I,m on the same shoe as bill, although I would love to DIY all the car work I feel this job is difficult without proper tools.

finally I managed to find a guy who is doing Feroza, a proper mechanic.

I asked him to machine the flywheel (about $50- $60) this guy ask me $350. I hope that is reasonable.

I will see my roza on monday.

I\'ll keep you guys posted.

cheers
will

Bildo

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
William,

$350 for the flywheel? It had better come back gold plated?
Or is he asking $350 out, in + flywheel?

Think of it this way, most mechanics (here is Aus anyway) charge around $100/hr, if you know that with the right gear (air tools, hoist, jacks, alignment bung etc..) that it would only take you 4-5 hours and he is asking $400-$500, take it!

But if they want $300 for the whole job, sign him up for a racing contract, either he is super cheap (wishful thinking) ultra fast (liar) or mega dodgy (most likely). Chances are he will charge you that to adjust it.. Then when you come back a week later, that\'s when you start throwing hammers at him! :D

If you get a quote, always ask roughly how long it will take them (pretend your in a rush and need to pick it up ASAP) Compare the hours taken, to price quoted....