Author Topic: Brake Master Cylinder Swap  (Read 5275 times)

Offline tramguage1

• Global Moderator
Re: Brake Master Cylinder Swap
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2011, 01:15:44 AM »
Great job. I think that when I get to that point I\'m going to upgrade the front brakes to ifs calipers and rear disk. Thanks again for doing most of the r&d for the rest of us.
1990 ROCKY
2004 Chevy 4.3, 1993 4L60E trans,
1980 Toyota transfer case, front and rear axles
Lockers front and rear.

alaskan ogre

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 02:47:17 AM »
It looks like it belongs in there and it will be very easy to repeat. Somebody in here with access to a plasma cutter and welder could make them in no time.

neen

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2011, 03:48:40 PM »
Is this installed in a new Rocky of yours?

This is a fantastic upgrade!  What did you end up doing on the bolt pattern interfering with the pedal mounts?

alaskan ogre

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2011, 04:36:51 PM »
Quote from: \"neen\" post=2828443
Is this installed in a new Rocky of yours?

This is a fantastic upgrade!  What did you end up doing on the bolt pattern interfering with the pedal mounts?

I have 3 Rocky\'s. This is the one without a motor.

The adapter I made converted the Toyota bolt pattern to the Daihatsu bolt pattern so it fit without any modification to the Rocky other than drilling out the 4 bolt holes for the 5/16\" bolts I used on the adapter.

I\'ll post a pic of the adapter once I pull it back out.

alaskan ogre

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2011, 03:26:43 AM »
Work was slow today so I dove into the swap today and got it 100% done and let me tell you it was well worth it. I\'ve gone from being fairly concerned about slamming into the back of someone stopping fast to not being concerned at all. Everyone with large tires or doing any towing needs to do this.

Here\'s some quick pics of the adapter plate. It\'s basically 2 plates, one with the holes for the Toyota pattern that the studs can mount through (note: cut the studs off as close as you can to the nut), the second plate is drilled for the Daihatsu pattern with Grade 8 bolts welded to it. The 2 plates are welded together with 4 strips of 1/4\" plate between them to make the entire spacer 5/8\" thick overall.

Before I mounted the new unit I measured the rod length and set the new unit to the same length.

I\'ll make a drawing of the plate later on.

[attachment=1562]brake5.jpg[/attachment]

The large hole was cut using a 2\" hole saw at low speed while using lots of oil. Note that the hole is offset to match the Toyota Booster.
[attachment=1563]brake6.jpg[/attachment]

I had to cut at an angle where the bolt heads were to allow enough room to tighten the nuts to the booster. After cutting I ran another bead around the bolts heads to mate the plates completely together. It\'s very, very strong.
[attachment=1564]brake7.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1565]brake8.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1566]brake9.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1567]brake10.jpg[/attachment]

All done, the 2 lines in the back are for the front brakes, it looks like they are mounted to the Master Cylinder but they are mounted to a \"T\" that is below the Master Cylinder. The \"T\" has a short hard line that runs to the front of the Master Cylinder.

Also note that the wiring connector for the fluid level closely matches the Daihatsu connector and works perfectly!

====The last pic was corrupt, I\'ll take another tomorrow====

Offline tramguage1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2011, 12:45:38 PM »
Could the adapter be made thicker? I was thinking fab the two plates and then use a thin sliver of 2 in. ID pipe or sguare tube at 45 degs.between. Would this help the clearence issues with the nuts on the Toyota mounting bolts? Also what about tapping the Rocky plate and then using red locktite to hold the mounting studs?
1990 ROCKY
2004 Chevy 4.3, 1993 4L60E trans,
1980 Toyota transfer case, front and rear axles
Lockers front and rear.

alaskan ogre

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2011, 05:26:34 PM »
Quote from: \"tramguage1\" post=2828467
Could the adapter be made thicker? I was thinking fab the two plates and then use a thin sliver of 2 in. ID pipe or sguare tube at 45 degs.between. Would this help the clearence issues with the nuts on the Toyota mounting bolts? Also what about tapping the Rocky plate and then using red locktite to hold the mounting studs?

2\" tube would work well. with the plates welded to it. It can be made about 1/4\" thicker without running out of threads on the rod to match where the pedal was set original (probably wouldn\'t matter much as there is a lot of unused travel in the pedal).

Offline heroicentaur

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »

I have found a nissan brake master cylinder from the size and shape its a double cylinder?

alaskan ogre

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 05:44:47 PM »
It\'s a double, you can tell by the hump. What size piston is in the MC? (The Daihatsu one is 7/8\", the Toyota one I used has a 1\" piston) What\'s the diameter of the diaphragm & bolt pattern?

Looks good!