Author Topic: Electric power steering  (Read 269 times)

Offline Bowie Kid

Electric power steering
« on: April 18, 2019, 09:30:38 PM »
Finished wiring my eps on Rocky III today. Works amazingly well. Here's a brief on my install. Idea isn't mine, see u tube "diy electric power steering". Plus I know a guy who did this on his Samurai with great results.

I used a steering setup from a 2007 Nissan Versa.myoull need steering assembly, control unit, and wiring pigtails.  Only 3wires to connect. Has fail safe so if power fails you can still steer through for normal steering. I own 3 Rocky's, none came with power steering so this was a highly desirable project. I marked top on my steering box and shaft where it came out of the firewall to keep steering wheel centered. Measured overall length of the unit I was installing then transferred this to my existing steering shaft before removal. I welded an extra yoke onto what I removed from my shaft. This extended the assembly back a bit to where it centered over the upper a arm to as not to restrict its movement. The upper end fit inside the a Rocky accordion shift so I inserted and welded to proper length. I used two pieces of 2" strap to holt to the assembly then bent to straddle the frame and welded in. Connected a 8 wag wire to battery positive, through a 50 amp circuit breaker. Ran wire to battery negative, then the wire to keyed ignition. Sitting on concrete the wheel is easy to spin with one finger.
Not a very good write up but hopefully gets the idea across for others that want power steering.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:35:38 PM by Bowie Kid »

Offline sata

Re: Electric power steering
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2019, 11:15:02 AM »
It's amaizing.. I have powr steering, but if I didn't I definetly try to install this one.

How about steering feedback?

Offline Bowie Kid

Re: Electric power steering
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2019, 07:18:29 PM »
So far with limited driving ( don't have it registered yet) it feels great in every way. Much like a good regular power steering. Control is excellent on the dirt roads around here.