Author Topic: Rocky worth it?  (Read 3231 times)

sdacanay

Rocky worth it?
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:20:34 AM »
On my way home I saw a Roky for sal, I stopped by and test drove it. Thought it would be a cool little budget off-roader but wanted to do some research before i waste my money again!
Anyways, I wanted to know...is it worth getting? It\'s a 1992 for $1,500. Are there still parts available? If I was to get it I wanted to lift it enough to fit atleast 33\" tires...where would be the best place to order this stuff? Also, because the tires will be larger I understand it mess with the gear ratio...so where/what brand manufactures low ratio gearing? Lockers?
Let me know. I browsed the forum and it seems alot of the post is ancient! Kinda scared to buy the Rocky because there is no place in Guam to buy parts for it. Also, browsed online and it\'s hard to find parts for it!

malodin

Re:Rocky worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 11:46:20 AM »
here in the states there are hardly any places to buy parts for it aswell only your small stuff like tune ups.

1500 is about average price for a runner.

they have natorious headgasket problems and that requires a good headgasket set being imported from australia to combat it if it does go.  

there are no lower gear ratios for them that i know of as in the us they come stock with 5.28\'s best gear ratio you can get even in a suzuki sidekick.

are you in guam?

sdacanay

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 12:47:08 AM »
thanks for your input. How about Philipines? I see alot of people in this forum from the PI. Are Rocky parts available there? If there is I think it would be cheaper than getting from Austrailia.
And yes, I am from Guam.
Also, do you know of anyone doing a 22R conversion with SAS with Toyota Axles? 22R/ Toyota is easy to find here.

malodin

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 10:23:16 AM »
there is a guy on here ralc that is from the philipenes(forgive spelling) i do not know about the availabilty of parts there but i know there are alot more of them everywhere outside the US

as for the 22r sas swap ralc has done a sas swap using dana 44\'s (a much stronger axle imho)

anything can be done with time and effort and money

monmendoza

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 07:08:14 AM »
To answer your question, I would say depends on what type of offroading you want to do with it. Replacement parts are not hard to purchase in the Philippines but no aftermarket parts are available. There are no lockers, R&P, aftermarket high strenght axle shafts. etc..

Here are some rule of thumbs based on our experiences.
without lift maximum of 29\" tires without rubbing even when going offroad.
If you go body lift we suggest a maximum of 2.5\". More than that you will have to extend your brake lines, reposition your radiator and extend your 4x4 gear shift.
With suspension lift 2\" extended shackle in the rear and 2\" torsion bar crank in front but this will make your ride bouncy. A better way would be to place a ball joint spacer in front to minimize torsion bar cranking.

31\" tires is recommended maximum. You may get away with 32\" but with 33\" you will experience loss of power and probably a broken differential because of too much stress.

The Feroza has 5.29 gearing which is perfect for offroad. It has also rear lsd and you can fozzy weld the front for more traction.

monmendoza

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 07:15:29 AM »
Here are some pictures of our latest trail.

ralc

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 10:53:16 PM »
Yes! The trail handling experiences as above/ previous postings answers the question- \"Rocky worth it?\";)