Author Topic: Rear brake adjusting.  (Read 144 times)

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Rear brake adjusting.
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
In the last few days I heard a moaning sound while using the brakes.  That sounded alarming, plus I thought I heard a little grinding sound.

So I opened up the rear brakes and nothing looked bad.  All smooth, with plenty of material still on the shoes.  I was having a hard time remembering which side had right or left-handed thread on the adjuster, so I looked up the manual and discovered that adjusting the brake is done by actuating the parking brake, eliminating a lot of work.

Back in ancient history when domestic cars still had rear drum brakes, they were self-adjusting only when braking while moving in reverse.  I tried that before checking the manual and no luck there.  Good thing the manual is here.

I will open up the front brakes soon and check them out, too.

Offline Rusty

Re: Rear brake adjusting.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:28:28 AM »
Hi Gonzo,

Sorry, I’m confused, but it doesn’t take much to confuse me.  Did braking in reverse using the handbake help adjust the shoes?  I did mine as per the manual, but I think they need a bit more adjustment as they only get warm on repeated use, not very hot. The fronts get very hot.

I repeatedly used the handbrake, but was buggered if anyone could here the adjusters in the drum clicking. So I just wound the adjusters in the drum till they were just dragging. I think they need a couple more clicks, but this is meant to happen automatically.

thanks
Rusty

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: Rear brake adjusting.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »
They should be positioned fairly well for you now.  I see nothing in the manual for auto adjust either forward or reverse.  I only see that using the hand brake does it.  I always use the brake when parked as a deliberate habit.