Author Topic: Rear brake adjusting.  (Read 334 times)

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Rear brake adjusting.
« on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:28 AM »
In the last few days I heard a moaning sound while using the brakes.  That sounded alarming, plus I thought I heard a little grinding sound.

So I opened up the rear brakes and nothing looked bad.  All smooth, with plenty of material still on the shoes.  I was having a hard time remembering which side had right or left-handed thread on the adjuster, so I looked up the manual and discovered that adjusting the brake is done by actuating the parking brake, eliminating a lot of work.

Back in ancient history when domestic cars still had rear drum brakes, they were self-adjusting only when braking while moving in reverse.  I tried that before checking the manual and no luck there.  Good thing the manual is here.

I will open up the front brakes soon and check them out, too.

Offline Rusty

Re: Rear brake adjusting.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 03:28:28 AM »
Hi Gonzo,

Sorry, I’m confused, but it doesn’t take much to confuse me.  Did braking in reverse using the handbake help adjust the shoes?  I did mine as per the manual, but I think they need a bit more adjustment as they only get warm on repeated use, not very hot. The fronts get very hot.

I repeatedly used the handbrake, but was buggered if anyone could here the adjusters in the drum clicking. So I just wound the adjusters in the drum till they were just dragging. I think they need a couple more clicks, but this is meant to happen automatically.

thanks
Rusty

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 07:48:50 AM »
They should be positioned fairly well for you now.  I see nothing in the manual for auto adjust either forward or reverse.  I only see that using the hand brake does it.  I always use the brake when parked as a deliberate habit.

Offline Rusty

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 01:08:29 AM »
my handbrake won’t hold the car either way around on much slope, I have to chock it in my driveway which isnt that steep.  Ive got softer linings than original so not really sure why, It worked better before I replaced the linings and had the drums checked.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 07:03:33 AM »
Have you manually adjusted the star wheels?  That should take out the slack.  Another thought I have is that the shoes may not yet be concentric with the drums.  So you could tighten them then back off a little.

Offline Rusty

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 12:23:34 PM »
I pulled the drums off last night and found that the new wheel cylinders have been leaking fluid.  It also seems the the auto adjusters are not auto adjusting.  I’ll have to start over and either hone these cylinders or try to get replacements under warranty and check them before installing.  Very annoying that new stuff is faulty, especially thats its a good well known brand too, not cheap stuff off ebay.  I don’t know if the shoes will clean up or need replacing again...hopefully I can just clean them with brake cleaning fluid.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2019, 12:50:46 PM »
Potentially, any lubricant on the shoes could ruin them completely.  I hope that is not the case.  Yes, use the cleaner as you said.  Good luck.

Offline Rusty

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 04:14:25 AM »
fortunately there was only a very small amount of fluid on the shoes and they seemed to cleanup well with brake kleen.  I found the new cylinders I put on last year were actually resleeved ones and had a lot of wear in them. They actually looked second hand as I doubt they would have worn so much in the time I’ve had them on there, the pistons had lips on the leading edge too. Anyway I bought a new set of the same ‘quality brand’ (PBR) and checked them out before fitting.  They looked good with light honing marks and no scores or dents in the barrels or pistons. Fitted them up and spent a bit of time adjusting them. They work a lot better than before and the handbrake is improving with use. The shoes had hardly and marks on them so I think I mustn’t have adjusted them enough last time and the self adjust didn’t wind them out either. Once they bed in a bit more, I’m hoping they will work really well.
I still have some slight pulling to one side presumably from the front discs that I haven’t rebuilt yet, that might be one of the next jobs to do, we’ll see...