Author Topic: Close to overheating: what's going on  (Read 962 times)

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
Close to overheating: what's going on
« on: June 27, 2018, 11:46:25 AM »
So, when solving the coolant leaks, I found that there was no thermostat. After getting (most) of the leaks, the Rocky was running cool. Patched up another leak and put in the tstat.

Now, I got barely a mile before I almost overheated. I had to stop three times in a mile so it did not overheat.

On the DROG site, I was told to get a different radiator cap (done, on the way) and check the fan tension, to see if it spins (will do). Any thoughts on this from you guys?

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
Re: Close to overheating: what's going on
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2018, 12:04:52 PM »
Welllll...not sure why the radiator cap would make it over heat...what do you know about the radiator? I did everything I could think of water pump thermostat fan...all replaced still over heating..one day I stuck my hand down in the center of the radiator and it was cool to the touch..it was circulating I could see it movin in there...but the main part of the durn thing was blocked up...cost me 300 plus as I recall but it stopped overheating.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »
One of my next steps is to have the cooling system checked at the local radiator guys to check the flow. That is an obvious thing for me to check. The radiator was steaming from the front and back and did seem hot...but it was not so hot that I couldn't put my hand on it. So....I dunno

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 07:14:17 AM »
So, I cross-posted this on the DROG site, so here's the verdict thus far:

1. The radiator is not original to the Rocky, and whatever unit is in there now was "professionally done," in the opinion of the radiator guy. He said it looks like it's good from the outside. Checking flow now.

2. The fan shroud is cracked. The fan is now obstructed from moving due to a coolant hose off of the bottom of the radiator. I feel like i would have noticed the fan being blocked before, so I think our recent attempts to stop the coolant leaks (successful so far!) moved that hose. The Rocky was running below half way on the temp gauge before fixing the coolant lines. After the fix, I could get a mile out of it before the gauge went way up.

At the radiator shop now. We'll see what the suggestions are...

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2018, 04:40:49 AM »
Ok...keep us abreast..just for the record...drog is not a site it is a page..they pay nothing..no cost no maintenance...they took everything they have from here when they decided to make a business out of rocky parts... so fuck drog  :098: there I said it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:49:49 AM by brushhippie »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2018, 04:50:34 AM »
I love you Brush

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2018, 05:22:35 AM »
We do not have the laughers on here...I sure wouldda put one up!  :13:  ;) :) ;)

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2018, 05:25:35 AM »
I normally keep it pretty mellow here..over on the gun site we have some fun!

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2018, 04:40:55 AM »
I believe fun is allowed, but I defer to you, good sir, you and Marine Aireldale, through your many years of experience haha

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2018, 09:00:52 AM »
OK, so here's this morning's update:

The whole thing is together, and the fan spins as it should...or rather, as it should not. There should be resistance on it, so I expect the clutch is toast from being blocked as the engine spins.

1. Now we're deleting A/C entirely. That should include the fan and aux cooler in front of radiator.

2. Adding additional fan in front of the radiator. Electrically run.

3. Unsure if we're gonna tstat delete or do the pin thing/drill the hole. Addressing this as well and should know shortly.

4. I bet I'll need a fan clutch.

THE STRUGGLE CONTINUES

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 11:50:10 AM »
I tried it without the thermostat...it does not have enough time to cool off without it...it seems...now the jiggly pin thing I had always scoffed at BUT...I am putting one in mine...if I ever get to finish it...and I cannot see how an electric fan can hurt...so you had goo flow through the radiator huh...bout outta options..you just did the head gasket huh? Did you go back and retorque?..that is something I have never done..and have never had one last.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 11:54:50 AM by brushhippie »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2018, 06:09:22 AM »
I'm trying to chase down problems one at a time. I have the head gasket (and the timing belt, too, for what it's worth) but I would like to hold off until post-summer time. I have no issues with power, no smoke, and now a third guy says my head gasket looks OK. I would like the Rocky to be down in October or so....assuming that the cooling problem gets solved, that's the hopeful plan.

I don't know if we'll simply delete the tstat, but I can't find a part number for one with the jiggle pin. We'll drill it otherwise.

All that A/C stuff completely blocks the radiator: I wouldn't be surprised if the hot climate Ferozas like Indonesia and what don't either don't have A/C or have a different set up. I just don't think it can cool enough. The A/C fan and all of that whoo-ha is going to go.

In its place will be an electric fan that runs non-stop when the Rocky is running.

I will never want the A/C back, so this is a no-brainer for me. I will evaluate the cooling situation this coming winter or even next spring, and I do think I'll go with something like an aluminum radiator and a dual electric fan and also delete the belt-mounted fan.

So, we'll see what we get when we do this. GAHHHHHHHHHH