Author Topic: 1989 Rocky F75 DL-51 Build Thread  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Rusty

1989 Rocky F75 DL-51 Build Thread
« on: July 06, 2018, 04:48:44 AM »
I guess its about time to start this as the build is almost done...

I bought the Rocky as I wanted a cheap smallish 4x4 that was solid and reliable back in March this year 2018. I’m the second owner and know the original owner and service history which was pretty good, but not much use or servicing over the past few years.  Being fairly handy with mechanical stuff on cars and bikes, this vehicle also provided an opportunity to learn a bit about 4x4s.

My initial plans were to just check over it and replace things like belts, hoses and fix the several minor oil leaks, but its turned into a bit more than that...

I have kept notes and photos and will attempt to put these up in chronological order over the next week or two...

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
Re: 1989 Rocky F75 DL-51 Build Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 02:04:07 PM »
Rusty, sounds good! I look forward to more!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2018, 03:01:15 AM »
Ok so first planned jobs were:
1.   Thorough cleaning outside, inside and under
2.   Replace fuel filter
3.   Replace wiper blades
4.   Clean/replace air filter
5.   Change diff oils, transfer case and gearbox oils
6.   Replace all cooling hoses, check turbo cooler line and change coolant
7.   Check brakes
8.   Check all lights
9.   Check suspension
10.   New wheels and tyres

Noted:
Rattling rear left spring clamp - fixed
Rattling rear door
Leaking left hand front knuckle joint
Slight leak transfer case
Slight leak power steering pump somewhere
Rear uni joint too much play
Air con compressor clutch not engaging but spinning sometimes (no gas solenoid stops it engaging)
Front springs nearly no curve
Heater not working - needs good flush and check valve opening inside cabin
Paint on canopy needs respraying
Power steering needs flushing and repair leak (it seems this is where the oil on the steering pump is coming from)

18 March 2018
Removed power steering reservoir and thoroughly cleaned it out. Refitted and flushed with Dextron 3 auto trans fluid.  Used the bleeding process several times as I couldn’t achieve the 5mm running/stopped tolerance in fluid level (about 8mm). Could see small bubbles after stopping engine.  Even a few days later the power steering doesn’t seem as effective as it should be, so will get it looked at. Eventually did not improve, however after turning wheels left-right by hand when jacked up, steering went rough again, not sure why...

Ordered new wheels, tyres from Mick
5No. Sunrasia black 15x7 with -13 offset and Nexen Roadian 235/75x15 all terrain tyres

19 March2018
Spoke to Steve and Diff Services and will have him reseal the knuckle joints, transfer case and check front end over.

20 March 2018
Attempted to flush heater core, lots of dirty water came through, but very restricted flow, maybe as low as 10%. Cleaned out overflow reservoir and reused coolant for now.  Will replace all coolant hoses once heater core is sorted out and use new coolant then.

21 March 2018
Looked into retaining standard height suspension by resetting springs and using RAW standard replacement shocks which seem to be compatible with the 3way adjustable system in the Rocky, need to check. Will replace all bushes and shackles when refitting these. Also need to replace the steering damper at some point and other bushes eg front diff sideways support bar ends...Steve will check all these anyway.

22 March 2018
Cant find compatible shocks for standard electronic adjustment system...
Sourced EFS Front springs +50 from the manufacturer, Carroll springs and I fitted them. Gave a nice lift over old springs of about 75mm but right hand rear is sagged about 20mm so will need to do rears as well. Installed EFS Enforcer +50 shocks in front, the ride is much nicer and a fair bit firmer.  Had to drop sway bar hanger approx 30mm to clear springs on full droop.
Some trouble fitting the leafs as the left side rear hanger ended up about 25 to the right, this is because the panhard rod needs to be longer I’ve found put. 

23 March 2018
Went to Mick’s to try new wheels, they sit really well near edge of flared guard and about 50mm bigger diameter, should suit great.

24 March 2018
Spent about 4 hours cleaning dirt and grease from front end, notice oil leak around front and rear of sump, but not sure yet where its coming from exactly.
Bought colour match for both colours, will look into respraying the resin areas.

25 March 2018
Work on rear door and rear wiper.  Checked brake vacuum and it seems ok, yesterday noticed that front disks were slightly oily, will try brake cleaner after knuckle joints are done, then new pads and check calipers if that doesn’t help.
Cleaned up area to replace bonnet weatherstrip.

26 March 2018
Sourced EFS rear springs, ubolts, bushes and shocks from Carroll springs  and fitted them up. Still need to find a Steering damper

27 March 2018
After some research, it seems that I need to lengthen the panhard rod to allow the front springs to sit under the chassis rails. At the moment, the passenger side rear spring mount is sitting inboard about 20mm which doesnt look good.
I removed the panhard rod and drove around for half an hour then checked springs, they are sitting pretty well under the chassis rails now, both back ends are slightly inside the chassis rails, maybe 3mm each side so I’ll see if I can find an engineering shop to do an extension, it looks like about 20mm increase will do, but ill measure it properly before making any change.
Picked up new wheels and tyres this afternoon, once the panhard rod is sorted out and toe in checked/adjusted, I’ll fit them up.

28 March
Panhard rod lengthened to 900mm, then took the car to do wheel alignment, the shop aligned nicely, but the steering wheel was 80 degrees to the left...no good, so I took it back and they tried to centre it but just couldn’t do it. Said it needed another adjustable rod to correct it, not sure if true or not, I will look into an adjustable draglink so one side can have toe adjusted separately of the other side.

29 March
Went to see about airconditioning, but the belt was too loose to do anything, then went to Rocky wrecker, he has a 93 Rocky just come in, I will get rear door catches as the door works like new.

Fitted a 10mm shorter air con belt 13A0890 as the 13A0900 was too loose at full adjustment.
Also need a 10mm shorter power steer belt as it is just tight enough on full adjustment, new size will be 13A0805 or maybe 13A0800, but these are both special order belts sizes apparently. Also alternator belt needs to be 10mm smaller too, its a 15A.... at the moment and needs to be15A....
Also sourced the swivel/knuckle joint gasket set for Steve to replace in a week or so. The left hand freewheeling hub looks like it has a slight leak at a couple of the torx screws, will get Steve to look at that while doing the swivels.

30 March
Replaced rear uni on rear driveshaft, the dinging noise has now gone and it is smoother to start in motion which is great.

While under the car, I saw that the front seal on the transfer case has a slight leak where the driveshaft goes in, also the oil pan has a leak around the rubber seal at the front so I’ll source these two sets and replace soon.

3 April
Ordered genuine oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, thermostat and gasket.  Also picked up the belts slightly smaller
Got air con regassed, running well now will take back to check in a month.
Went to see Daihatsu wrecker, got rear door catches and limit bar, under steering wheel dash panel and coffee pot, all in good cond.
Got home and removed dash and heater element to try reflushing.  Took 3 hours to remove and an hour or so to get clear fast flowing water through it, lots of thick muck came out before water would flow any better than a trickle. Being able to invert it helped a lot.

6 April
Heater core well flushed and flowing. Found s/h heater panel as mine is not good, also new brass fittings for heater hose to block, then started reassembly. I damaged the original heater control cables and replaced two of them with hilux ones which work fine.  I had to file down the solder lugs on the end to get them to fit.

9 April 2018
Tests on turbo found only boosting about 1psi. Removed to find impeller very notchy.  I removed the turbo, exhaust manifold etc.

10 April 2018
I looked at getting the turbo rebuilt, but was told that no parts are available for it, so I started the hunt for another turbo charger.

11 April 2018
Order new original replacement IHI turbo from Germany, should take about 10 days cost was very reasonable at $820 aussie incl freight.

16 April 2018
I bought Pyro, boost and oil pressure gauges from VDO to install also got brass fittings to suit.

26 April 2018
Replaced push rod cover gasket

27 April 2018
Gaskets arrived from Japan for oil pan, rocker cover and exhaust centre only. Also thermostat but no gasket arrived.

30 April 2018
Replaced oil pan gasket very hard removing old gasket as it had been glued on there with some horrid goo.

1 May 2018
Collected new Turbo from Post Office
On inspection the only difference is a vacuum fitting I can swap and two waste gate exhaust studs need to come out of old and go into new.
Removed oil cooler, made a gasket to suit and reinstalled with new oil filter.

2 May 2018
New water/oil cooling hoses fitted as well.
As only the centre of the three exhaust gaskets are available as genuine parts, I customised 2 x genuine centre exhaust gaskets to use for front and rear, just had to elongate the holes about 1 mm each side, there is no obtrusion to the exhaust ports, but the gasket on front and rear are rotated about 10 degrees...hopefully they won’t leak. They are 5 layer pressed metal so good chance they will seal ok.
New turbo to exhaust manifold metal gasket sourced.

3 May 2018
Bought Gauge mounts
Ordered 2 x new wastegate metal gaskets, genuine from Japan, also coming is side cover gasket and thermostat housing gasket
Checked Rocky rhs tierod end at supplier, will suit modified adjustable relay rod, ordered 2 and will have the rod made next week.

Vacuumed exhaust manifold, turbo, wastegate and oil lines.
Fitted turbo to exhaust manifold and wategate elbow to turbo
Fitted assembly to engine block and torqued wherever possible.
Turbo oil feed line somehow got bent, but wasn’t too hard to realign.
Fresh oil in sump and primed the turbo oil feed line.

4 May 2018
Mount new gauges...pyro, boost and mechanical oil pressure
Once everything is back together, I may need to stop engine from starting until oil pressure is up
Ordered two right side tie rod ends

5 May 2018
Tightened exhaust manifold, connect exhaust to dump pipe
Removed any old radiator hoses and replace, still need to do front and drivers side hoses
Clean and instal air inlet side pipes and aircleaner
Connect gauges and mount to new frame
Check oil level
Check all connections
Add coolant
Makeup electric feeds for pyro and gauge lighting

Ready to fire up…
Cranked engine until oil pressure was up, then started and idled for 5 minutes, check for leaks...
Engine running fine, no leaks everything working as it should

10 May 2018
New 2.5 inch dump pipe and full exhaust system fitted for $400
Dropped off steering rod and tierods to Grant
Picked up steering rod, just need two half nuts now

11 May
Removed original air intake and replaced with flexible rubber 63mm duct to left side headlight area
New aircleaner element ready to fit before tuning.

13 May
After making a paper and a foamed pvc gauge surround, I made one from 1mm aluminium sheet. Plan is to cover in grey vinyl to blend in with dash.

14 May
Flush out fuel tank and found it pretty clean, filtered using a fine stocking and some grit accumulated on the stocking.

15 May 2018
Replaced the diesel filter and the water bleed off o-ring. As the fuel line was full of air I had trouble with air in the hand pump, so applied 10psi to the fuel tank via the filler cap while loosening the air bleed screw. This work great and took about 5 seconds!

17 May 2018
Finished off gauge cover, made from 1mm aluminium and covered with marine grade vinyl in matching grey to the dash. Installed new Sakura air filter.

18 May 2018
Bought locknuts for steering rod, transfer case front output seal, new Bendix 4x4 brake pads and asked Daihastu wrecker about timing marks and transfer case front yoke seal.  He advised to watch for belt wear against timing cover (my timing cover is worn through) and also severe wear on valve side of rocker arms.  Apparently the steel rocker arms are bad for this and can punch through. I found that mine are the newer alloy type and there is some shiny wear, but no pocketing like the cast steel rockers are prone to.
Did valve clearances...
Lots of trouble working out valve arrangement, but my guess turned out right when I found a photo of a new cylinder head on the net.
Clearances were mostly ok, some small adjustment and one large adjustment see below - not sure how to insert a table...

19 May 2018
Remove front propeller shaft and check engagement - plenty
Remove front output shaft from transfer case and replaced oil seal
Refit propeller shaft

21 May 2018
G&L Motors ran the Rocky up on their dyno to check afr is safe and found it to be pretty much ideal as is. No adjustments made as it would only increase risk of higher wear etc, so I’m happy that its running well and safe. Max torque is just under 300Nm at 2000rpmand max power is about 68bhp at 2500rpm (at the rear wheels)

Next jobs are brakes, door trims and stereo and I'll post up some photos of the stuff mentioned above very soon.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:07:05 AM »
This is great...and a solid list of things to do for anyone starting out with any new vehicle...bu especially our Rocky. Thank you for sharing!

Do you have any pics of what you did here?

Offline Rusty

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2018, 03:23:11 AM »
Yes Uthergorge, I have some photos to post up. I was going to mix them into the thread, but got lazy so I’ll put them up in a new post with an explanation for each one...soon hopefully.  There are still a few more things I need to list out too, so I’ll get back to it soon.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2018, 06:16:58 AM »
I was fooling around with pics for mine and different places I posted stuff. It takes way more time than I ever think it will. No rush!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 02:25:05 AM »
I can't get the photos to work.  It seems like the help on adding photos is out of date because I can't find the buttons it talks about.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 02:26:36 AM by Rusty »

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 01:08:20 PM »
This forum has posts from four different incarnations since it began...so some of the stuff is different as this is the third different forum format. Below the box here there is attachments and other options click it and choose file from your computer appears...you can also share from photo hosting sites such as Imgur or sucksalotbucket (which I DO NOT recommend) Photo attached to see if it does indeed work...it does...hate that cell photos are inverted!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:18:02 PM by brushhippie »

Offline Rusty

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 04:21:15 AM »
Im referring to the help thread for pictures by alaskan ogre, back in 2013.  Ive tried both chrome and safari and tried help in those too, played with settings in chrome, but still no luck. When I add attachment, the file name apears next to choose file, not a path and there is no insert button apart from the insert image button above the reply text box, but it doesnt seem to work either.
Can anyone direct me to more up to date help on this please?
Ive used photobucket on other forums, but its not free anymore and they took all my images away, so I’d prefer to post pics in if possible.
Thanks
Rusty

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:10:17 AM »
Ok you choose a file..it appears in the window...you can then...either hit post or add more attachments..then post. The image will not appear till you save the post.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:29:14 AM by brushhippie »

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 07:10:48 AM »
Instructions have been modified  :victory: hope that heps!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:27:58 AM by brushhippie »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 05:26:01 AM »
Thanks, BH!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2018, 06:18:36 PM »
Tryouts ng again...this is just before I got the Rocky:

Offline Rusty

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2018, 06:21:54 PM »
yey...it works from the iPad, but the photos are too big on here and too much mucking around to reduce, so I’ll have another go on the pc when I get home later on.
Thanks BH, I don’t think I did anything different except post instead of preview, but its worked!
Hopefully same luck on the PC.

Offline Rusty

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2018, 07:03:19 PM »
The first job was to get the suspension and tyres sorted out as the front springs had almost no bend in them.  The front axle was almost sitting on the bump stops...
The new springs resulted in a rise of about 85mm at the front and about 15mm at the back which levelled it up pretty well.  The new black rims and tyres look way better than the original white ones I think.