Author Topic: Bumper Build  (Read 2345 times)

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: Bumper Build
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2018, 07:12:42 AM »
Looks rugged enough, Les.  What's the tow bar look like, and do you have a braking system?

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 08:59:13 AM »
Shipmate, it is a Roadmaster Falcon All Terrain tow bar.  Goes on base plates exactly like you have on your Rocky.  I run a pigtail that uses the Rockies rear lights instead of the way you did on yours.  Still looking for an affordable, used brake system.  Thus far I have been a bad Jar Head Airedale (as most are ... lol) and not used a brake system.

One of the reasons I went with this tow bar.  Besides being easy to hook up was the attachment point to the tow vehicle is a 2" receiver tube instead of a ball.  So in day to day operation it disconnects by pulling the pins at the Rocky end and folds up then lays down horizontal to the side, parallel to the rear bumper of my Dodge Cummins.  The photo when I was mocking it up with cardboard shows the cross bar in place.  The two arms of the tow bar attach to either end of that crossbar with large pins.
Lester, my friends call me 'Les'
Vehicle: 1992 Rocky SE

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
There are several good braking systems out there, with afficianados for each.  Some are permanently installed, in your engine compartment, so setup is duck soup.  I don't particularly like splicing into the vacuum line, though.  Some need power, such as mine.  There is the Ready Brake, which looks to me to be very simple with no electrics.

What I have is the Brake Buddy which has to be placed in front of the driver seat and attaches to the brake pedal, and uses 12 volts.  It is a little heavy and awkward, but nothing you couldn't handle.  It comes with a remote control/monitor for your tow vehicle dashboard.

Almost all states require some braking system to shorten your braking distance, especially with a panic stop.  I certainly can feel it when mine activates.

Look around.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 11:38:28 PM »
Have about settled on one of the electric ones like yours Gonzo.  Been keeping a weather eye out for a used one with no luck thus far.  Just do not want to shell out the quantity of coin of the realm for what they want new.  Yeah, I know ... being a tight wad old AMH and 'civil servant'  ... but I do not want to spend a lot of money where I do not have to.  Too many other projects to work on ... lol.

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 07:33:01 AM »
I got lucky and found mine on fleabay for about $700.  Of course I burned up the compressor because I didn't have a dedicated 15 Amp power circuit.  Had to send it in for repair.  The BB people are really great.

I discovered the standard Cigarette Lighter circuit is way too small to supply 15 Amps, and there is a fuse on the back of the socket which is almost invisible, its so small.  I ran a dedicated circuit for a new cig socket which I included in my CB radio panel.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 07:35:37 AM by Gonzo_Descente »

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2018, 09:22:02 PM »
When I put the communication radio's in I ran a dedicated line from the battery into the passenger compartment.  50W radio's do not like low amperage power supplies either.