Author Topic: Bumper Build  (Read 2335 times)

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
Bumper Build
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:11:28 AM »
Winch bumper build for little Rocky.
Lester, my friends call me 'Les'
Vehicle: 1992 Rocky SE

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: Bumper Build
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 07:37:22 AM »
So, are you planning a winch on there or a tow bar, or even both?

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Looks good Les...like the shape.

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
nice, bumpers are way harder than one would think

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 05:49:06 AM »
Similar to Ogres...what mine will look like as well.  :13:

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
So, are you planning a winch on there or a tow bar, or even both?

Both shipmate, that was a good part of the challenge and compromise Gonzo.  First I had to make the front plate narrower than first intended to clear the tow bar mounts and could only go so far forward without interfering with the tow bar cross member.

What I would have preferred to do if I were not running the tow bar is attach the bumper directly to the frame.  With the tow bar adapters (just like yours) on there that was not possible as I did not want to sandwich them.  I attached the new bumper to the factory location (once I ground off the tabs) including the holes for the bump guard.  Also put a tab in the bumper to bolt through the pad on the frame for the core support.  Not ideal but it was the best I could do.

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2018, 11:03:51 AM »
New turn signals should get here today so I can get those holes drilled.  As well as the bolt holes for licence plate(s) there will be two on the front.  Ya'll will just have to wait and be amazed  :-\

Then finish prep for paint and hopefully I did not warp this thing into a pretzel welding it and it will be good to go.  Have to wait a month or two for the winch.  Mad money is exhausted for this month.  Retired aka fixed income is a pain in the tail sometimes.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »
...Sometimes...?

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:24:04 PM »
Well, I was being polite shipmate ... lol.  To make it more fun if we made any more income per annum we would loose our VA health care.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 03:33:31 AM »
Hey bub: what are you thinking for the turn signals on your bumper? I haven't been able to find LED ones I like, but I'm also looking for suggestions

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 07:01:55 AM »
Not to hijack the thread, but I don't need the VA for much, and my experiences with it are underwhelming to say the least.  Here's hoping you get all you need and deserve.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 11:08:06 AM »
Teach, am going to use oval surface mount LEDs.  Just like the ones on the back of my truck camper.  They will stick out almost an inch if I remember correctly.  Would have gone with the flush mount style that use the rubber grommet but am too darn lazy to whittle the holes in the bumper.

Gonzo, VA is the only health care that we have, we are not old enough for any of the other programs out there.  If we had to go with anything else it have to be a private deal and would cost us a fortune.  Both of us are in pretty good shape for our years.  Take no prescription meds, so all we have basically used it for is annual check ups.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 08:08:26 PM »
Well, good for you, Les.  We went on Medicare a long time ago and we use Scan Health as our Medicare provider and we couldn't be happier.

I don't know if its offered up there in the FROZEN NORTH, but if you get to the retirement age with SS, see if you can get it.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2018, 09:20:48 PM »
Gonzo,
Both of us need a few more tics of the calendar to get to SS/Medicare age.  We were very fortunate to be able to retire a little early.  Fairly common occurrence in both of our prior professions.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2018, 09:43:56 PM »
Update on the bumper build ya'll.  Blasted off the mill scale and squirted it with some black.  Got it on and the T/S up and going.  Other than some cosmetics I am quite pleased with it.  Stout SOB that is for certain.