Author Topic: No electrics.  (Read 888 times)

Offline Sailor Phil

No electrics.
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:36:58 AM »
I recently bought another Diahatsu Sportrak which is in very good condition. I hadn't used it for a couple of weeks only to find the alternator has seized and nearly wore through the belt. the intension was to drive it to my local garage for a new belt and alternator ( I haven't the time) but now the engine will not start. I have no lights on the dash, no radio or wipers , but I can still use the headlights and hazard warning lights. I examined all the fuses I can see but everything seems in order. an I missing something ?
Any ideas would be welcome. thanks in advance.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: No electrics.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 12:20:58 PM »
First I would check all the fuses again, even to measuring them with an ohmmeter to verify they are not blown.  Check the service manual section here for fuse locations.

Other than that there has to be bad connections, and don't forget that the ground return wires have to be clean and tight.  They are very often forgotten.

OK, so you have headlights, but are the battery connections clean and tight?  I have a disconnect switch on my battery which is probably not factory but something from the original owner.  It needs to be clean.

What is the battery's voltage both with everything off and then with the headlights on, to see if its degraded.  It should always be over 12 volts.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 08:16:24 AM by Gonzo_Descente »

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:14:30 AM »
This probably won't help you but I discovered a hidden fuse.  Its on the back side of the cigarette lighter socket and its about the size of a match head.  Not shown in any of the manuals as far as I know.

I was hooking up my braking system and that socket won't provide the necessary 15 amps because the wire size is too small, and I burned up my compressor.  I now have a dedicated 15 Amp circuit for the braking system.

I only mention this because for all we know, there are other mystery fuses in the system.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:54 AM »
How's it going?  Made any progress?