Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 1945 times)

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
Engine rebuild
« on: February 13, 2018, 02:33:32 PM »
After having owned this my first Rocky for almost eight years and doing nothing but driving it around the farm I finally last year pulled the motor and had it and the head gone through bored etc...and finally getting fired from a job that was taking way too much of my time..(80 hours a week) I am finally...ALMOST ready to put her back together..I ordered the Head studs last week the arrived yesterday...so two work days from now..I will be dragging both Rocky's to the shop for snatchin and replantin..I will have the gopro set up gettin a time lapse of the re-assembly (they are just too cool)..so next post will have pics for those of you who cannot read!  stay tuned!
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:51:45 AM by brushhippie »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
Re: Engine rebuild
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 05:02:54 AM »
me likey cos me no read gud

I look forward to this. I'm thinking of picking up an engine (stock) to go through and get ready to swap; I do think I'll throw a small super or turbo at this time, but that's in the future. I am eager to see what you come up with, bub. Thanks in advance.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 04:33:36 PM »
Got up to the shop and pretty much got it all ready to go together..put the bearings in....got my desk..kinda cleaned off..

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 05:20:17 PM »
What brand head gasket?

Offline Avid

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 11:14:56 PM »
It looks like the ITM gasket set. I'm also interested in pics/write up of the rebuild since I've got a spare engine and rebuild kit sitting around.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 06:19:14 AM »
I think both the set and head gasket are ITM..had to put it off for another couple of days to pull the engines from the RX7s...back to it later today hopefully! The gaskets I got from rockauto..the rings and pistons I got from the nw place...come to find out...they are not the only place in the world to buy this stuff...just the most expensive. The bearings I got from fleabay....they have the pistons and rings also..I had already ordered the other ones before I found them...damnit!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 06:22:43 AM by brushhippie »

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:50:13 AM »
What's the compression ratio going to be?

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2018, 02:48:26 PM »
It is .020 over should be around stock..no mods.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 02:55:42 PM by brushhippie »

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »
that's what was milled from block and head?

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 05:26:30 PM »
No pistons...I see what you are saying...not sure how much it would raise compression dude did the deck and head.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 11:00:13 PM »
It is possible to get the static compression ratio if you are willing to work at it.  You will need to "CC the heads" which means using a carefully measured oil to find how much volume is in the cylinder head.  After that in your piston heads are not flat, you need to do the same for a cylinder. Then calculate the bore vs stroke to get the volume of displacement (swept volume).

After that its only calculations.  Once you have the engine running its then possible using a compression gage on the running engine to determine compression, which should be in the range of 120 to 140 PSI.  Might be some variation once the break-in period is over.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:04:18 PM by Gonzo_Descente »

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 08:12:06 AM »
I will get compression readings from it once it has been though break in..the other set of rings is supposed to be here Friday..everything except the thrust bearings and mains I think are ITM..even  the second set of rings are ITM..thought about contacting them and start selling them here on the forum...for frikkin cheap.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 03:45:17 PM »
Just a fyi found the ITM kits excludes the cranks seals...but Orielly could get them overnight...and close to rock autos price.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2018, 02:31:36 AM »
While you are at it did you match balance the Pistons, rods and have the crankshaft and flywheel spun up and balanced?  Certainly makes them run soother.
Lester, my friends call me 'Les'
Vehicle: 1992 Rocky SE

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »
We put the pistons and rods all on a scale and they were within a gram right out of the box...I did not balance anything else dude said unless I was going to spin the piss out of it...it would be pretty smooth just like it was...this guy builds and races 4 cylinder motors so...I took his advice...we shall see.