Author Topic: New Possibility for Engine to Swap into Ferozas/Rockys?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
New Possibility for Engine to Swap into Ferozas/Rockys?
« on: January 23, 2018, 04:16:53 AM »
So, on the Malaysian Feroza page, a guy swapped a motor out of a Daihatsu YRV (JDM only, as his was a turbo) and according to what I can glean out of Google Translate (which does not do well with Malay, his language) it looks like it was a comparatively easy swap. I'm attaching a pic.

Why mention this? Because this is a Toyota motor, the SZ, that is available in the US, and has some tuner support.

Here's the Pukopedia for it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_SZ_engine

The vehicles that use this engine?
Toyota Echo
Toyota Yaris

Now, it's looking like it was only the Echo had this motor here, and then only in a 1-liter, which is obviously small. But pre-turbo, it's making about 70-hp...and post-turbo, I'm finding amounts well over a 100, in a new-ish Toyota motor.

Relevant motor quote:
"All launch models were supplied with a new 1SZ-FE 998cc 16v four-cylinder petrol engine with variable valve timing that produced 67bhp and 50+mpg fuel consumption. Nicknamed the ‘Mighty Atom’ for its ability to deliver power equivalent to a traditional 1.4-litre engine, the unit (below) was voted the world’s best in the inaugural International Engine of the Year Award."
-http://blog.toyota.co.uk/toyota-yaris-history

More investigation must be done....

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
Re: New Possibility for Engine to Swap into Ferozas/Rockys?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 06:02:31 AM »
Do tell...they build a plate for bolting it up or different tranny?

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
The gentleman in question was away from his Fez at work, so he was going to take a picture with how it mounts. Or...how he mounted it.

However, this engine is used in multiple Daihatsus and other makes...so fingers crossed that it wasn't that hard. He suggested it was easy...but my "Malay" ain't what my Engrish is.

Also...none of the vehicles that use this motor are rear wheel drive. Coupla all-wheel drivers in there, but different beast, obviously.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 11:47:03 PM »
Outstanding research buddy, give up on paper grading or just go to the random bell shaped curve formula?  Just because it is slight on displacement does not mean it is low on horsepower.  For example our new Honda 1.5 liter intercooled turbo produces 190 horsepower.
Lester, my friends call me 'Les'
Vehicle: 1992 Rocky SE

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 03:59:41 AM »
Well, I'm finding "tuned" examples of this motor at 105hp...though no one has turboed it that I can find and then dynoed it. The one guy posting a few places turboed his Echo, but I can't find a post where he fixed the computer gremlins he got. Everyone told him to get a custom tune and/or reflash, and I don't know how that went.

This Malaysian guy may know. But don't forget: his Fez is actually in the shop now. Perhaps he's ironing this out, as his swap was days ago.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:53:26 AM »
Still thinking I am going to do a rotary.

Offline Marine Airedale

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:06:17 AM »
Are they even around any more Al?  I have not personally seen a rotary in decades.
Lester, my friends call me 'Les'
Vehicle: 1992 Rocky SE

"Everything is better wrapped in bacon" "Are these for everyone" My lovely wife and best friend, many years before we were married.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 08:43:53 AM »
Good luck finding one.  The last ones I read about was one in a motorcycle and one in a car (Mazda?).  Many moons ago.  I you want to spend some time on the interweb you might find where they were used, but again, they are rare.

Offline RubberDucky

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 12:11:53 PM »
Hello all,
I know I am a bit late on this thread but, does it look like this engine is gonna work?
RbberDucky

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2018, 03:28:08 PM »
Good luck finding one.  The last ones I read about was one in a motorcycle and one in a car (Mazda?).  Many moons ago.  I you want to spend some time on the interweb you might find where they were used, but again, they are rare.
Are they even around any more Al?  I have not personally seen a rotary in decades.
I actually have a couple...going on several! lol I like them..the RX7 is just a joy to drive....got two goin on three of those as well...found another Rocky down near Houston...may ride down there inna couple weeks...it is supposed to have a good motor.