Author Topic: Greetings from Virginia!  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Pete

• Supporting Member
Greetings from Virginia!
« on: October 30, 2017, 05:04:19 PM »
Greetings to all,
I recently purchased a '92 Rocky SX, and will be fixing her up soon.
My immediate questions are:
- how can the LSD be identified? (is there a tag on the car, or on the pumpkin?)
- what fluids to use in the engine, transmission, transfer case, and differential? (I'm thinking 10W30 Synthetic for oil...or should I go with conventional for some reason?)
- as far as coolant, is the blue import stuff a safe bet?
- what are the largest tires that fit (without rubbing) with the stock suspension?
- it has a "sticky" starter issue. Do you replace the contacts only, or should I just replace the whole thing?
Thank you all in advance!
Pete

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: Greetings from Virginia!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »
Welcome!

I suggest full synthetic oil.  I seriously doubt you have a fresh engine. Your owners manual should tell you about the fluids.

When I first got my ROCKY I immediately took it to my trusted mechanic and had him change ALL the fluids in the car's drive line.

Any modern antifreeze should be suitable.

My experiences with starters sticking has been with damaged gears on the shaft.  Inspect that before just replacing it.

I stayed with the standard tire size, because my off-road is limited to getting to fishing spots, and I have no lift kit installed.

Offline Pete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 03:24:05 AM »
Thank you Gonzo!  Yes, changing all the fluids is top priority.  Then tires, because the old ones are dry rotted.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 05:57:41 AM »
Agreed..change all fluids straight away...and I run 235/75/15s...do NOT dig body lifting which will give you the ability to run...like 30s?...but then you have to deal with the bumpers...screw that! lol

Offline Pete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 04:29:58 PM »
Thank you brushhippie.  Good advice.