Author Topic: Reddy McRedred is home!  (Read 2165 times)

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
Re: Reddy McRedred is home!
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
I'd like to put in LED headlights, too, but the curved sides don't look to fit my grill.  I wonder if they have the standard 3-prong connector on the rear, and whether they are solid or with a pigtail like those on Amazon I've seen.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 09:20:24 AM by Gonzo_Descente »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 03:19:55 AM »
The ones I have required me to swap the prongs: I had to rotate the top to the side, and then a side to up top. Otherwise, they simply popped in.

However, I have seen some sort of pigtail for the high beams...otherwise, I don't know how that's powered. I do not seem to have high beams at this point.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2018, 02:38:26 AM »
Minor update, with more pics to come this week as we try to get the little beastie road legal, in no particular order:

1. Changed the rear license plate lights out with a new bracket.

2. About to fix the headlight high beam issue.

3. Various trim pieces to be put back on.

4. Supposed to be very nice this weekend so if I have time, will try to get the convertible top on.

Offline So.WUT

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2018, 09:32:47 AM »
Your hard work is paying off---Looking Great

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2018, 02:05:07 PM »
Here she is, guys: Reddy is running and on the road!

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Gorgeous!

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2018, 06:59:11 PM »
Thanks, buddy!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2018, 06:16:29 PM »
WOW Utherjorge...I just read your last few posts, I missed them when I read this a while back. Those bumpers are awesome and the car looks fantastic, great work!

Offline Rusty

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 06:21:45 PM »
With the LED headlights, I’m thinking about just replacing the H4 hologen bulbs with 4000 lumen LED plug/play replacements. The prices vary but the ones Ive been looking at are around $150 aussie dollars, pretty expensive and Im not sure how good they are, I need to do a bit of homework on this before deciding if its worth it or not.  The probelm for me is not high beam, its low beam I want to improve for highway driving at night, so spotlights wont help that.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2018, 06:06:03 AM »
That is what I tried to do, simply swap LED headlights in, I bought a pair of them. I did have to swap the wires in the plug to get the low beams to work, but that was easy. I had no high beams, though.

It was down my list to address as time went on, but Pennsylvania has yearly inspections, and some things would fail it outright. One was the rear license plate being blocked by the spare tire. I bet my local inspection guy would pass it, but I didn't want to take any chances. So I moved it to the right side of my rear tailgate. Ditto state code that says that the bumpers can't stick out past factory body work. I had to tuck the front wings in an inch or so to be compliant. Again, bro-dozers all around stick way out, but I figured I would be the guy to get rung up for it.

Anyhow, no high beams are an auto-fail when inspected. So, I needed to fix them before I could get them to pass. On one of the different Daihatsu sites on BookFace (I think it was the DROG site) a member there who claims to be an electrical engineer of some sort turned me on to an eBay kit I'll link to below. In essence, it uses two relays to fool the factory wiring into thinking it doesn't really have LED headlights plugged in. I think that's an appropriate analogy. In any case, the engineer guy's claim was that if he built the exact same thing using electrical parts, it would cost him way more to do; the eBay kit was a steal.

I suck at auto wiring (well, I'm getting better...and since I can wire a whole house, it can't be that hard, right? lol) but I was able to get this in and done just fine. Works great and the LED lights throw plenty down the road for me to see.

LED wiring kit:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CERAMIC-H4-HEADLIGHT-HEADLAMP-H4-LIGHT-BULB-RELAY-WIRING-HARNESS-SOCKET-PLUG-SET/321185541524?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

The LED bulbs I used...there are others, of course:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/7x6-H6054-45W-Epistar-LED-Black-Crystal-Sealed-Beam-Headlights-Lamps-Assembly/123134088385?hash=item1cab5d14c1%3Ag%3ARY8AAOSwEm1a-nTv&_sacat=0&_nkw=H6054+led+leadlights&_from=R40&rt=nc&LH_TitleDesc=0

About these lights: I see ones much cheaper and better reviewed than these, and the actual link for the ones I bought is expired. This is the closest I could find to the light pattern I have.

Offline So.WUT

• Supporting Member
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2018, 12:24:28 PM »
Super Sharp Rocky,   GREAT JOB ON IT..