Author Topic: Reddy McRedred is home!  (Read 5959 times)

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
Reddy McRedred is home!
« on: May 29, 2017, 10:52:30 AM »
So, one long saga is over, and another begins. The 1990 Rocky I picked up after much pain at a Copart auction is finally home. Like, at my house.

Of course, I stopped at the store on the way home, and it puked a whole bunch of coolant on the ground. And it's filthy. And sticky. And the doors don't open well, and the hard top has badly broken windows.

But it ran well! And it's home.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
Re: Reddy McRedred is home!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
Lots of little things to go on, but doing work as parts arrive slowly from here and there.

The rear has now been primed and painted Sunrise Red (to be the color for the whole beast):

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:32:24 AM by utherjorge »

Offline sata

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2017, 04:33:01 PM »
uffff.... it's like really red, jaja.. but I like it tho.. just throw some black in it :)

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2017, 06:28:16 PM »
I'll post up the front tomorrow: ran out of light. But with the roll bat back in, and the grill/bumper, it looks good. Those are black  :13:

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
OK: I took the bumper, skid plate, and grill off. The bumper and grille got Rust-Oleum Hammered in Black (it's a dark grey, but still) and the skid plate got black. Some of the underneath there (lower radiator support, body mount) got plain Rust-Oleum Black, as did the skid plate.

I did the extreme nose in Sunrise Red, too: I didn't touch the hood since the new windshield is coming this week and I didn't think it would be hard enough to climb around on there yet. The hood is also not completely latched since the temp battery is in there and it's too tall.

I also put in LED headlights and had to do some wiring fun to switch the ground and high beam lead. I have never had high beams in here, so I was hoping that work would help. I was wrong.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2017, 11:33:02 AM by utherjorge »

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 11:21:39 AM »
OK, so I got the rear bracket in the mail from So.WUT (Thanks, man!), and it's in:

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 11:23:58 AM »
And, since we're at it here are some more pictures of the back half. The paint is on, but I'll need to wet sand and so some other foolishness before putting the trim pieces back on, but this should get you the drift:

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2017, 07:35:23 AM »
Looking real good!

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »
Damn skippy!

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 01:25:10 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!

Offline So.WUT

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 07:11:16 PM »
Looking Awesome!  I can't wait to see the  finished product.

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 02:17:56 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen!
Gentleman....snicker..

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2017, 06:23:38 PM »
haha...being polite is always a good thing!

Working on the targa roof now

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2017, 10:56:19 AM »
OK! So, I took off the fiberglass "sunroof"/targa/whatever ya wanna call it, cleaned it up, and got it done.

First, I separated the headliner from the shell, cleaned it up with bleachy cleaner, rinsed it, and shot it with SEM Color Coat, in black. I think this stuff is magic, and works exceptionally well. I have used it on fabric before, and found it to be better than the Duplicolor stuff.

First, the pre....

Then, the post. Of course, this is the original top that had some red spray, some black spray (none from me) as well as cracks and what not, so it could never be perfect, but I think it came out great.

Then, the shell. I also sanded the underside, and that is painted with straight Rust-Oleum Black (for consistency's sake) so it'll match the other places with black. I did not take pictures of that. Instead, below is the sanded shell, with some light primer overspray dusting it. I used 220-grit and an orbital sander.

I sprayed the top with Rust-Oleum Hammered in Black, as I did with the bumpers and roll bar. It's more of a dark gray, but I love it, and I love the texture. Two views of it below.

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2017, 01:43:37 PM »
OK, so we have a new glitch. Yay!

The license plate light finally came in from Indonesia. The picture of the old vs. the new is below.

However, all is not well! The plug and wires don't match!

The new plug has four wires...two green, two pink. Never seen this before! These taper down to 2 wires, one for each color, into the plug.

The old plug also had four wires, which tapered into three at the plug. Even the plugs are different. Ideas, gentlemen? (Yes, I said gentlemen again!  :13:)