Author Topic: How to remove axle shafts?  (Read 976 times)

Mighty Ferocious

How to remove axle shafts?
« on: January 06, 2012, 08:37:34 AM »
Had to replace the RHS rear axle seal on my feroza and had a few problems. I couldnt pull the axle out, not sure if i was missing anything or if there was anything that had to be undone on the inside but i bashed the hell out of it and it came out and when i put it back in it wouldnt go back in either. I had to bash the hell out of it to get it back in. After i put everything back together i now have a clunking noise in the diff like ive bent the shaft.

I do have another axle shaft to put into it but i want to know if i missed anything so i dont do the same thing to this one.

What i done:
Removed Wheel Cylinder
Removed Brake Line
Removed Brake Shoes & Springs Etc
Removed Handbrake Cable
Removed 4 Bolts supporting backing plate on Diff
Then tried to pull it out

Im pretty sure thats all i did, would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help. Thank you

Offline heroicentaur

Re: How to remove axle shafts?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 06:29:25 AM »
Take off the drum of the brakes (has two small holes use a bolt to take it off) then turn over the drum brake and fitter with 3 wheel bolts, screw them for about 2 turns. Then pull back and forth the drum brake and the axle should come out after some hits.

It will take a lot of force but will pop out straight away.

If it doesnt work (like mine right shaft did on mine) you will need to use something like that

Then to fit it back you should just press it by hand and then with a rubber hummer put it back again so the ball bearing want get busted.

I believe that your ball bearing has been busted during the procedure or are not fitted nicely in the diff tube.

Check if the axle shaft has any movement.

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 07:34:31 AM »
RULE NUMBER 1 Mighty Ferocious
DON\'T BASH THE HELL OUT OF ANYTHING!!!!!

Take your time with these rigs, remember when you brake something it is going to take as twice as long to find the right part and replace it.

With the rear axle removal there is 2 different ways you can do it, if you can get your hands on the tools.

A slide hammer is a good start, you bolt it to the wheel studs and hit with the force of the slide AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE.

The 2nd way is with a rubber mallet from the back of the backing plate again hitting it gently but with some force, do not bash the hell out of it.
You do need to get under the back of the vehicle to do this, but once it is jacked up and on stands (or on blocks if you have no stands) it is not to hard.
I have replaced both side axles due to them being bent this way, and also removed my mates axles in the same way to replace the wheel bearings.

Just take your time with it and try to think outside the box..
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

Mighty Ferocious

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 07:54:57 AM »
Thanks both of you, i was kinda just frustrated at it and took my anger out on it lol. Ill have to try again trying everything yous said and be gentle.
I was being gentle to begin with but it would not budge at all. I tried just pulling it myself then tapping around it with a hammer but didnt budge so i wasnt sure what to do at all.

Offline Feroza95

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 03:26:48 AM »
Do you have to disconnect/remove anything from inside the rear diff housing?

Offline tomerlinj1988

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 03:12:02 PM »
Feroza95. you should not have to disconnect anything inside the differential housing. after you disconnect the backing plate retainer bolts hook up a slide hammer to the lugs and give it a couple hits. should slide right out. make sure brake line and hand brake cable are disconnected. there are step by step instructions. in the f300 service manual under 'rear axle'

Offline Galetamix

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2018, 12:01:16 AM »
Whith patience and a hammer. You will put it out. Use wd40 or similar. Maybe the bolts are rusted