Author Topic: Oil & Filter Recommendations  (Read 771 times)

tameanaka

Oil & Filter Recommendations
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
About to change out the oil of my Rocky for first time since owning it and was looking for some recommendations.

I'm leaning toward Castrol Synthetic Blend 20W-50. Is it good? Will it work? Or go full synthetic?

What kind of filter should I get?  The one with most filter media?

I also have a slow rear main leak. Has anyone had any experience with Bar's Rear Main Seal Repair??

Thanks

Offline naturelover

• Traumhochzeit No. 48 of 51 made. "Wolftanz"
Re: Oil & Filter Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:08 AM »
Hi Tameanaka! :039:

Where do you live? Do you have to use such a heavy, viscous oil?

I use what's recommended in the manual: 10W-40

I use a not too expensive, not too cheap, non-synthetic oil. But I think it's not that important, whether it's synthetic or not in our old rigs. Main thing is to stick by a brand and not mix different brands or viscosities. Castrol as a brand is good, though.

The filter should be a standard filter for Rockys/Ferozas. Here it costs about 5-8 Euros.

Of course, I base this info on that you got an original HD-E or HD-C motor in your rig.

As for the leak: I had an oil pan leak (turned out the mechainc had forgotten the rubber gasket in the back). We had thought it was the seal, too, but it wasn't. Stilll, we had a new seal ready and replaced that also, as well as the gasket. We found out the mechanic had also forgotten to put the pilot bearing in, too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So we put that in at the same time. Then all was well. If you can, try to fix a bad seal. I'm not much on sealing additives, like Bar's Leaks", etc., 'cause they also seal and plug up other things, too. But I never tried the sealer sealant, so I can't really say. But a full repair, albeit costlier, is always the best.

Best wishes,
Dennis :coffee2:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:54:08 AM by naturelover »
DZH

Offline Rusty

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 03:13:03 AM »
An old thread but still relevant.

I’ve been using Shell Helix HX7 fully synthetic 10W-40 for the last 3 oil changes, (5000km per change).  It seems fine with hot idling pressure around 25psi, hot highway revs around 50psi and cold idle around 50psi can get to about 95psi when driving cold at quite low revs.

My problem seems to be the anti drain back on the filter. It takes approx 2 seconds to get pressure after leaving the car standing overnight, the engine is a bit noisy too until oil pressure comes up. It wasn’t like this before I did my first oil change using Wix filters. After the first oil change I got onto Wix and found that they’d given me the wrong filter,  the only difference being the lack of an anti drain back valve, so they gave me two new correct filters.  However neither of these have solved the problem.  Anti drain is pretty important on these as the filter is pretty much inverted and will drain easily if the valve doesn’t work.  I always change the oil hot, so on removal, the filter has oil in it (not much time to drain) but last time it didn’t seem a lot of oil in it, so my plan is to just remove the filter when the engine is cold, ie over night at least and see if there is  any oil in it.  If there’s not, I want to fit a the best replacement, maybe a genuine one if I can find any.
I would like to know if anyone else has had this same problem with the turbo diesel engine in particular.

One other thing is that during the engine work I fitted a VDO mechanical oil pressure gauge and at first I thought this might be causing the delay, but I doubt it as the amount of oil required to fill the tube is very little.

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 07:23:05 PM »
I use the STP synthetic for high mileage engines along with the STP filter, usually offered discounted as a set.

Offline Bowie Kid

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 05:09:56 PM »
I used Amsoil 5w-30 synthetic only as I have a source for it. For a filter I use a quality filter the size of the Fram ph-8a(crap). I like the extra capacity it gives.