Author Topic: ARCHIVE: Body Lifts - AGAIN!  (Read 2075 times)

Bildo

ARCHIVE: Body Lifts - AGAIN!
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:18:21 PM »
First (2nd) post, so keep the flaming to a minimum.

I\'ve got a \'90 roza, stock as a rock but has a big heart and even bigger plans.

I\'m planning on making some aluminium body lift blocks for the ol\' girl, I work as a CNC machinist and have access to all sorts of awesome toys.

I\'ve just finished testing on some 2.5\" hub spacers for a 75 series land cruiser and some 3\" body lift blocks. All worked AWESOME.

So now im going to make some 2\" lift blocks for the roza (i\'d go 3\" but my understanding is that 2\" is the limit for NSW?)

Before I start making them I want to see who on here is interested in getting a set at a good price? With CNC\'s the more you make the cheaper it gets...

Sooooo post a reply if your keen for a 2\" body lift!

Bill.
Australians only, postage will just destroy the price.

Offline lioncubb

Re:Body Lifts - AGAIN!
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 12:37:10 AM »
It\'s pity you didn\'t post about 2 weeks ago, I just got this kit from Queensland    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Daihatsu-Feroza-Body-Lift-Kit-/270689320595?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f06573e93

but let me know as I have another Rocky that I will be lifting in about 2-3 months, really would like the nolathane blocks, do you know anything about them....
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

Bildo

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:19 AM »
I have a little understanding about nolathane.
It can\'t be machined unless you freeze it with liquid nitrogen, it\'s like trying to cut chewing gum with a hacksaw (im sure you all remember the trick of getting gum from ones hair)..... so it  needs to be moulded into shape, rather then \'cut\' or machined.

Nolathne IMO has no EXTRA purpose as a body lift because you should still be using the rubber mounting pads that are all ready there.

I could make them from black acetal, which is a really tough \'engineering\' plastic. Commonly used as suspension bush\'s in a lot of off-road buggies (http://www.edge.au.com)

I\'d be using it myself if there wasn\'t a legality issue with it.

My understanding in NSW is they are only legal if they are metal e.g. steel or aluminium.
Steel is nice and cheap if you make it from mild steel, but requires painting as it\'s prone to corrosion and heavy.

Stainless steels or S/S are stain-less or stain resistant but are expensive (it\'s comparable to aluminium) but once again are heavy.

As a rough guide;
Mild steel  (K1045, S1012) ~ $1.80/kg
Alumium ~ (6061 T6, 7071) ~ $13/kg (but you only need 1/3 the amount because its lighter)
S/S ~ (304,316) ~ $12/kg

Just a heads up on \"high tensile bolts\" ask them if they are grade 8.8, if they are then they arn\'t REALLY a high tensile bolt. They should be a 9.8, 10.9 or 12.9. Ideally you want all your bolts 12.9 but it\'ll cost about an extra $5 - $8 per bolt....

Essentially the more I make, the cheaper it is for me. I\'m not intending on making a profit, just helping a few blokes out.
If I made one for example, it might cost me $20e.a. However if I made 30, it would only cost $5e.a.

Catcha my drift.....

sam_des@hotmail.com

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »
im keen...

Bildo

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
@sam_des sounds good, the more the merrier.

Im also looking at making ball joint spacers, BUT I have a naughty little trick up my sleeve.

2\" body, 2\" suspension, 1.25\" BJ spacers and extended shackles should make for some awesome possibilities me thinks....

sam_des@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 10:15:23 PM »
where are you located mate?

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 09:47:35 PM »
@Bildo,
Did you ever get to making those ball joint spacers??
How well did they work??
If so, are you able to make another set for myself, and how much would they be??

Mcguire

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 01:01:12 AM »
Yea I was interested in the BJS\'s for a while & never got a straight answer about how useful they are but I bet it would be easy for you to make seeing the access to neat tools.  I have also heard that over 2\" BL\'s you have to do more with the filler hose for the gas tank.  I\'ve done 2, 2\"ers & they are easy, I could see any more & you\'ll have problems.  Doable but not as easy.  I used grade 8 bolts & they were higher grade than the stock ones, Good Luck I hope you sell a bunch too.

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:37 AM »
I agree with you Mcguire, that is why I went for a 2\' body lift, didn\'t want to be relocating the radiator and brake lines, not to mention having to extend the fuel filler hose as well.

monmendoza

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
3\" is not really an issue. My orange and red feroza\'s have 3\" body lift.
I change my fuel hose but its not an issue, because they are readily
available. I also shifted down my radiator, again not much of an issue.
rear Bumper spacers wether 2\" or 3\" you will need them. :)

I think Roza31 was able to lift his front bumpers without welding anything. :)
I suggest you go 3 inches, they look much more meaner. hehehe