Author Topic: ARCHIVE: Need front brake calipers for 1990 Rocky  (Read 2381 times)

tbenton

ARCHIVE: Need front brake calipers for 1990 Rocky
« on: January 21, 2014, 04:24:54 PM »
Anyone have front calipers for sale? I see lots of repair/rebuild kits on the internet but few calipers.  Replaced Master Cylinder from M&M Salvage here in Virginia but they don\'t have the calipers listed as in stock.  We thought we were good to go for state safety inspection as pads are good but turns out front calipers are seized so it failed. Not sure if its difficult to use repair kit.

Update..found \'unloaded\' calipers for a good price but  Is unloaded ok if rest of brake parts are ok?

Two questions:
Are the calipers the same for both front brakes?
I know that lots of Toyota parts fit the Rocky so wondered if brake calipers do?

Thanks
Terri

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
Re: Need front brake calipers for 1990 Rocky
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 01:09:28 AM »
Calipers seem to be a unique to Rocky item.

Unloaded caliper just means it doesn\'t come with pads and shims and sometimes bracket.

Right and left calipers are different.

Centric website is good for comparing brake parts.

Rockauto has semi loaded calipers for less then $30 each after core exchange. You might even google a rockauto discount code for a couple more dollars off. I\'ve bought most Rocky stuff from rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

tbenton

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 02:38:41 PM »
WOW...thanks for all the valuable info.

Rock Auto seems the best  deal. I assume you have to pay the shipping to get the cores back to Rockauto for refund?.  Do you know if pads,etc would be hard to get if we find we need them during installation? I want to order the calipers now and don\'t know about the pads..advice?

Just looked and Auto Zone which is right up the street . They have them with \'installation\' hardware for $46 each and $42 core charge that I can get back at the store and not have to ship.  They don\'t actually say loaded/semi,etc so I am doubt they have pads? . Here is what it says:  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Reman-Brake-Caliper-Front/1990-Daihatsu-Rocky/_/N-igldxZ8knro?itemIdentifier=57304_0_2362_

I am not going to do anything until I hear back from you and thanks again

UPDATE....RockAuto does not have them in stock.....!!!!!

Terri
------------

Unloaded caliper just means it doesn\'t come with pads and shims and sometimes bracket.

Right and left calipers are different.

Centric website is good for comparing brake parts.

Rockauto has semi loaded calipers for less then $30 each after core exchange. You might even google a rockauto discount code for a couple more dollars off. I\'ve bought most Rocky stuff from rockauto.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php[/quote]

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 03:52:55 PM »
Huh, that figures. rockauto says no calipers now. Never seen that before.

Pads are cheap, you do want the shims behind pads, and the calipers should come with pad hardware.

Make sure you pull old calipers and compare them closely to the autozone calipers before you leave the store with them.

If you can afford it, it would be a good time to replace the rubber brake lines with stainless lines. Toyota truck lines allegedly fit, not verified myself yet, but the threads are same as toyota.

tbenton

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 04:20:49 PM »
Rockauto showed the calipers UNTIL I tried to put them in the cart and then I went back to look again and it said there were none.  Murphys law I guess.  The calipers from AutoZone are Duralast re-manufactured  so hopefully will be fine .  Not stocked so ordered on line and found 20% discount  coupon and free shipping to the house. I can return the cores to the retail store . If something goes wrong and they don\'t fit I can return to retail also so no pesky shipping to deal with . Ordered pads too. Bottom line bill   $177 before tax and after I take cores back it will be $93 for calipers and pads.  My mechanic where I get inspected said he would look for the calipers and give me an estimate. He  was going to charge me $294 just for the calipers and thats w/o labor. Even with his markup......wow. I do trust them and have no idea where he found them but I knew that price was not going to fly and he knew it too.  They had to put exhaust system on the Rocky last year to pass our charming Virginia emissions inspection.  Good guys in general when we have something we can\'t do ourselves. Hubby can do the brake work. He does it on his old  Ford truck all the time. Wish we could do the brake line thing now but will certainly put that on the Rocky\'s bucket list. OF COURSE it snowed here yesterday and the Rocky is my only transport in snow and would be nice to have good  brakes. My main transport is a Mazda RX7 convertible and she is NOT a snow bunny. We live on private gravel road with steep gravel driveway and that car is fast but like a sled and would never make it  up back up to the garage. The Rocky has saved my winter life many times.

Thanks so much again and I will report when we get the caliper job done and hopefully good news. I only have 2 weeks to get fixed and re-inspected without having to pay again.

Terri
===

Quote from: \"ag86IL\" post=2838558

Pads are cheap, you do want the shims behind pads, and the calipers should come with pad hardware.

Make sure you pull old calipers and compare them closely to the autozone calipers before you leave the store with them.

If you can afford it, it would be a good time to replace the rubber brake lines with stainless lines. Toyota truck lines allegedly fit, not verified myself yet, but the threads are same as toyota.

tbenton

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 06:35:33 PM »
ag86il,

Update:  got the calipers from Auto Zone and they were the wrong ones. They swore they were a \'fit\' for the Rocky but not even close. Good news though. Our friend the mechanic who installed the master cylinder decided to go the extra mile when the calipers would not fit. He loosened up  the sliders and that was what was making the calipers seize up. Now they  turn fine and he put new pads on.  Brand new feeling when I drove it.  Very little play in brake pedal  unlike before.  I will get re-inspected tomorrow and take those calipers back to Auto Zone.  While he was fooling with them I called a few salvage yards and  three I talked to had  sold their calipers but I found a set in Tenn for a very good price so having them shipped and will keep them on the shelf. These calipers are obviously harder to  find than hen\'s teeth so a  little insurance won\'t hurt  for the future.

I am so relieved
Terri
=
Quote from: \"ag86IL\" post=2838555

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 07:24:59 PM »
I picked rebuild kits for a few bucks last year, haven\'t rebuilt them yet though.

Glad your Rocky got fixed.

tbenton

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
Have you watched You Tube of a guy rebuilding  Rocky calipers ?  To me the repair/rebuild kits that I saw don\'t look that complex but I am naive obviously and he suggests not doing it unless you know what you are doing and have plenty of time. There are several  numbered videos of his journey. He seems to be in Australia and has Rockys  and many other vehicles  in the background. I ask my mechanic who has been doing work on brakes (and everything else) for almost 40 yrs and he said they were just too old to rebuild without headaches. I hope the ones on their way here now are the right ones just in case and I hope I never need them...

Its very interesting to watch and listen to him. If this link does not work  go to You Tube and search on \'Daihatsu Rocky Brake Caliper re-build 1 \'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umifk3huTfw

I wanted to take the Rocky to be reinspected early this morning but its covered in SNOW from last night and i didn\'t feel like going out there in 4 degrees and clean it off so I will clean it later today and go tomorrow. I never thought we would have this long lasting arctic freeze here in Virginia.

If you rebuild report back on here please and let us know how hard it was

Terri
===========

Quote from: \"ag86IL\" post=2838591
I picked rebuild kits for a few bucks last year, haven\'t rebuilt them yet though.

Glad your Rocky got fixed.

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2014, 02:19:29 PM »
Hello Tbenton,
Those videos are mine, & yes I am an Australian, but the videos were made in Puerto Rico where I live.
The whole rebuild process is not that hard, as I mentioned in the videos, you just need patients & time. You can pick up rebuild kits for them in a number of places online, I have 2 spare kits at home myself with a spare set of calipers as well for just in case situation.

If you contact this guy thru eBay.com he quoted me $30 per caliper rebuilt if I supplied the calipers and the rebuild kits plus shipping.
Here is the web address in ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mechanicsautoparts/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Hope this helps
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

tbenton

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2014, 02:59:08 PM »
Good to hear from you. I enjoyed the videos and you were so honest about everything. Turned out my calipers were fine..the sliders were locked up and are fine now and with new pads I have plenty of brake and happy happy happy.  Today I will receive the calipers from a salvage yard that were not expensive and I will put them aside for later OR maybe sell them someday since these calipers are so scarce.

thanks for the reply
Terri

tbenton

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Lioncubb,

This is one of the front calipers I got from Tri City Auto in Tennessee to keep in reserve just in case. The ones I got the first time from Auto Zone were not the right ones even though they said they were for 1990 Rocky. I just need a sanity check that this is the correct caliper.. They look totally different from the ones I got the first time. Bigger and totally different look. Thanks in advance.

Terri

Offline naturelover

• Traumhochzeit No. 48 of 51 made. "Wolftanz"
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
Hi,

Some Rockys (Ferozas by us here in Europe, Sportraks in England) have air cooled rotors (you can tell them by the holes in the middle between the two sides) and some have single plate rotors with no cooling. The air cooled ones are wider, single plate rotors by their very nature, thinner. That is probably why you have two different size calipers. Both are for Rockys, but one for the one kind of rotor, the other for the other kind. If the wider caliper fits yours, you probably have the air cooled rotors. But it\'s easy to check, just look for the holes between the rotor plates.

Dennis:)
DZH

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 04:36:11 AM »
@tbenton,
It is really hard to tell from the photos you posted. The best way is, that each caliper has a number on it.
The right hand side is  R2111
The left hand side is  L2111

or the correct part numbers are as follows:
Right side caliper Assembly 47730-87606-000
Left side caliper Assembly 47750-87606-000
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters