Author Topic: ARCHIVE: Where to drain and put new Transmission fluid  (Read 1088 times)

scottamania

ARCHIVE: Where to drain and put new Transmission fluid
« on: November 06, 2013, 06:24:38 AM »
Hey everyone, i\'m having trouble locating the transmission fluid drain bolt and where to fill new fluid. I looked at the manual but cant seem to locate it judging by the pictures.
I have added a picture where i\'m guessing the drain bolt is if someone can confirm it for me.

i have a rocky 1989 f75 diesel. thanks

tigermk1

Re: Where to drain and put new Transmission fluid
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 09:26:20 AM »
well first of all you posted in the wrong area., regarding the fill and drain for your transmission, the highest drain plug (about halfway up) should be the fill. the lowest drain plug should be the drain. Open the lower plug and see if oil drains out. Good. Now open the upper pkug and fill, (after you have replaced the lower plug). Problem solved. Now have a sherbet or a coffee and congratulate yourself.

Hope this helps
Steven

scottamania

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:35:29 AM »
cheers mate i will try it out tomorrow B)

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:48:56 AM »
Make sure it the larger fill bolt, same size as drain bolt, there is a smaller bolt which retains important tranny bits and you don\'t want to loosen that one.

Offline naturelover

• Traumhochzeit No. 48 of 51 made. "Wolftanz"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »
One more thing: loosen the fIll bolt first at least a little, then the drain bolt to drain it. That way you don\'t get caught up the proverbial creek without the paddle in case you find out later, that the fill bolt doesn\'t open, but you\'ve already drained the fluid - as seems to have happened to some here in Germany from whom I got this tip.

Best wishes,
Dennis :laugh:
DZH

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:03 PM »
Quote from: \"naturelover\" post=2838010
One more thing: loosen the fIll bolt first at least a little, then the drain bolt to drain it. That way you don\'t get caught up the proverbial creek without the paddle in case you find out later, that the fill bolt doesn\'t open, but you\'ve already drained the fluid - as seems to have happened to some here in Germany from whom I got this tip.

Best wishes,
Dennis :laugh:

Yep, good advice.

scottamania

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:08 AM »
thanks for the advice everyone