Author Topic: ARCHIVE: help: Need Manual Steering Gear - Mine is loose and leaking  (Read 2103 times)

sirswig

Hey guys, My manual steering gear is loose and leaking. If I send it to be remanufactured, they want $500 USD. I found one on ebay and bought it only to find out the part was damaged. I have a Parts Rocky in my backyard with Power steering, but I just don\'t have the time to remove everything right now and my car is in the shop. I can have my parts one towed to the shop I guess and have them remove the stuff but that is a buttload of labor. What would you guys do? I am stuck! Also, the bill for all this is going to be about 2/3 of what I paid for the entire car. Does that ever bother you guys having to pay for repairs almost as much as the car is worth?

Also, behind the Oil Cooler, the piece that the Oil Cooler is attached to, what is that? Part of the Timing Cover? It was leaking and my mechanic threaded in a new Oil Pressure Sender is screwed into this right next to the engine block. Is this something that can be replaced? It cracked even greater when my mechanic put in a new sending unit.

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
Re: HELP: Need Manual Steering Gear - Mine is loose and leaking
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 11:43:27 PM »
SI_Daihatsu here might have those parts.

I don\'t pay for repairs, work on it myself. Payed for a good front alignment, that is it.

sirswig

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 03:32:56 AM »
Thanks ag86, normally I have done all of my own work on the car, but it is winter here and I do not have a shop with good tools. I\'m more of the backyard casual mechanic. I will try and ask SI_Daihatsu if he has that part. Thanks! Also, do you know what piece I am talking about behind the Oil Cooler? I looked at the Manuals and it shows it there but does not describe it or even say what it is. Its the piece that the Oil Pressure Sending thing screws into next to the timing cover.

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:02 AM »
Quote from: \"sirswig\" post=2838796
Thanks ag86, normally I have done all of my own work on the car, but it is winter here and I do not have a shop with good tools. I\'m more of the backyard casual mechanic. I will try and ask SI_Daihatsu if he has that part. Thanks! Also, do you know what piece I am talking about behind the Oil Cooler? I looked at the Manuals and it shows it there but does not describe it or even say what it is. Its the piece that the Oil Pressure Sending thing screws into next to the timing cover.

No, I don\'t. Maybe pull that page from manual into paint, put an arrow or circle on it, and post it here.

sirswig

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 02:01:51 AM »
Hard to tell but the oil light sending switch thing is bolted into what seems like an aluminum piece.

[attachment=4131]OilSensor.png[/attachment]

Offline ag86IL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 03:05:16 AM »
Ok, I thought the book went further on that detailing the removal of it? Called it the oil cooler and has a SST to remove and install? Probably have to make a SST or find something that would work. I\'ve never tore a HD-E down so not real certain.

Offline YoAdrianne

• Daihatsu Rocky Parts Northwest
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 07:55:06 AM »
Here are a couple of pictures out of the Daihatsu Repair Manual

[attachment=4132]2014-02-27_23-50-17_440.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=4133]2014-02-27_23-50-29_269.jpg[/attachment]
And here is an picture of a new oil pump from Daihatsu of Japan

[attachment=4134]2014-02-16_16-58-03_320.jpg[/attachment]
Anderson Island, WA

jeff56chevy@centurylink.net

Offline Luigi

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:17 AM »
You will need to remove the engine to change or repair the oil pump.

sirswig

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 01:59:48 PM »
Son of a... Well that basically ends the life of my Rocky then. Ill have to have it towed home and sit in my yard for a year... Sigh. ANyway to jack up the engine a bit to get it done or you have to literally remove the engine?

sirswig

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:59:28 PM »
Guys, is the F300 and F310 Oil Pump the same? It looks EXACT except for the middle hole there. As you can see if you compare to the pic posted earlier, the middle hole has the slotting on the bottom instead of on the side like the OEM version. Will this affect its function or installation onto a F310?

http://www.rexbo.eu/japanparts/oil-pump-xxold1?c=100492

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 04:43:40 AM »
The center hole rotates as the crankshaft rotates. That is how the pump is activated.
Anderson Island, WA

sirswig

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Thanks for that offer. I ended up buying one from that Site I mentioned later rexbo in Germany. I got the pump here delivered for $210 BUT it is not OEM of course so I am taking a chance on that, plus if something goes wrong it will have to be shipped back to germany.. Crossing my fingers. Do you have any of those Window latches left? I know you used to sell them on Ebay. There is a guy selling them for $115 which is just plain ridiculous for something that will eventually break and made of cheap plastic.

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 04:17:08 AM »
Yes I have new ones from Daihatsu.  Email me for details.  daihatsurockypartsnorthwest@centurylink.net
Anderson Island, WA