Author Topic: First Test/Trial  (Read 2007 times)

FRED

First Test/Trial
« on: March 18, 2013, 11:16:35 PM »
The Rocky had its first test run last night up the back of Ormeau. (For  Qld warf members you will know just how tough it is)
The rocky performed exeptionally well. Suffers from articulation as the swaybars have been put back in place for registration. Soon to be modified for quick release units. The original towbar will be removed and incorporated into the rear bar to increase departure. After a tough work out, the temp remained just under half. Fair to say the thermo fan set up works a treat. We still have a weeping waterpump which has been ordered and on its way. Will perform a chem clean to block and radiator and drill a 2mm bleed hole in the thermostat if it hasnt already got one. Just to make sure overheating is never a problem. Having driven into the night running 4 IPF\'s was a little worry as the alternator couldn\'t keep up. Quick call to a budding auto elec apprentice to solve the problem by increasing amps to the original unit.

All in all the rocky was a treat. Tyres let it down on extreme rock climbs so a set of aggressive tyres  will fix that lil problem. New disc rotors, pads and a brake flush to help hold her on the verts. Off to the exhaust shop next for a new system.

All the added attention the use of high density foam, urethane sealers and a zillion self tapping screws  to the cab fittings paid off with no rattles.  

Very happy.

Pics to follow soon.

dano_mung

Re: First Test/Trial
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 02:08:56 AM »
Would you care to share how you increased the capacity of the original Alternator?

I replaced mine a while ago after it died, but couldn\'t find a cost effective way to increase the current.

FRED

Re: First Test/Trial
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 07:50:10 AM »
When i remove it i will measure it up for and see whats available and let you know. Have done an upgrade to a bosch prior so this shouldnt be a problem fitting new internals. Will keep you posted as its one of those wish list items down the list at present. Hopeing to have it engineered and then for rego in the next couple of weeks. Its a project  fourby.

Cheers FRED