Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 2329 times)

GregMN

Greetings
« on: March 06, 2012, 06:04:02 AM »
Greetings from a new member and Rocky owner.  By my ID you will know that I live in MN.  But, the Rocky is staying in AZ for a couple years to use exploring around here before I take it back to MN.  There is a link below to some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/oldhouselights/DaihatsuRocky?authkey=Gv1sRgCN_XucWl2o6npQE

I just purchased it in northern AZ.  Rust free.  110k.  Some minor damage to the PS fender.  It was serviced just before I purchased it;  brakes, timing belt, wheel bearings, tune up, and a new fuel pump.

I have driven it around a few forest roads and fire control roads around AZ for a total of about 150 miles.  

I have some questions:
The fuel pump is loud, is that normal?
There is the smell of gas vapor coming from the back when I have the window open.  There is no evidence of gas leaking anywhere.  I will investigate the vapor lines behind the PS rear panel tomorrow.  Any ideas on that ?
The only 4wd vehicles I have experience with are Audi Quattro sedans and a chevy PU that I use just for snow plowing.  I notice that there are manual locks on the front hubs; \"free\" or \"lock\".  If I want to put the transmission into 4wd hi from 2wd hi, do I need to do anything with these hub locks, or do I just switch the transfer case and drive ?  

Sorry for the nubie question on the 4wd, but I figured someone would straighten me out on that pretty quickly and easily.

Thanks,
Greg

Offline lioncubb

Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:45:58 AM »
@GregMN,
Welcome to the world of Daihatsu Rocky\'s
In regards to your questions:
The fuel pump is loud, is that normal? YES it is normal

There is the smell of gas vapor coming from the back when I have the window open. There is no evidence of gas leaking anywhere. I will investigate the vapor lines behind the PS rear panel tomorrow. Any ideas on that ?

There was a recall on the Rocky, check it out here:
http://www.warfs.org/forum/18-tech-articles-recalls-service-bulletins-and-links/2828263-dont-forget-to-contact-leon-at-daihatsu-recall.html

The only 4wd vehicles I have experience with are Audi Quattro sedans and a chevy PU that I use just for snow plowing. I notice that there are manual locks on the front hubs; \"free\" or \"lock\". If I want to put the transmission into 4wd hi from 2wd hi, do I need to do anything with these hub locks, or do I just switch the transfer case and drive ?

When you want to use 4WD, you 1st get out and turn the hubs to lock, these are manual locking hubs. Then you can use the 4WD to the best of it\'s ability. But remember to unlock them when you get back on sealed roads.

Hope this helps you out.
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

GregMN

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:17 PM »
lioncubb,

Thanks for your response.

I won\'t worry about the fuel pump noise.  When I eventually get it home, I will see if it can be reduced with insulation and/or rubber isolating mounting.  Has anyone tried that ?

I guess I diagnosed the vapor problem pretty well.  I will see if I can get the part and I will look and see if what is in there can be repaired in the mean time.

What state is the drive system if the transfer case is shifted into 4wd but the front hubs are not locked?  Is it in 4wd with the front diff open?  I will look into the on line manual and see if I can wrap my head around how it works.

Thanks again,
Greg

neen

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:26:59 PM »
Regards to your hub there are two different things that are happening.  
1) When you are slecting 4WD on your transfer case you are now sending power to the front driveshaft/differential.  
2) When you \'lock\' the front hubs you are allowing the wheels to mate with the front halfshafts.  
Two different operations which are needed to utilize 4WD.  Some people just leave the front hubs \'locked\' a lot of the time.  This puts added wear on the front halfshafts and front differential but will do nothing for traction if the vehicle is in 2wd.  Likewise if you shift the transfer case into 4WD and leave the front hubs \'free\'...you gain no additional traction either as the front diff will be engaged but the connection between the front wheels and the front halfshafts will not be engaged.

Make sense?

Why didn\'t Daihatsu just make the hubs locked all the time?  Unlocked hubs are less rolling resistance, less friction, less drivetrain power loss which results in better FE, more power and longer component life.  So keep them free when you are not using 4WD and keep them locked when you know you will be using 4wd.

neen

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 04:27:53 PM »
Also I cannot access your picas webpage...can you post pics on WARFS?  Where in MN are you from...I used to live near Duluth.

GregMN

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:29:45 PM »
neen,

Thanks for the explanation.  It makes perfect sense.  
I tried the link for the photos and it worked for me.  When I get home to a real computer, I will post some photos on this site.
I live about 25 miles North of Duluth.

I fixed the vapor check valve with a little JB Weld.  Ready to drive out in the sticks again this afternoon.

Thanks,
Greg

alaskan ogre

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
Welcome aboard!

I can\'t see your Picasa pictures either. You might have to give public permissions to the album.

Posting here would of course be much better :blink:

neen

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 10:41:15 PM »
25 miles north of Duluth in, say Two Harbors?!

GregMN

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 10:42:52 PM »
I think I have the permissions for the album now set so the link should work.
I added photos of my drive today down the \"Old Payson Road\".  I have no experience off roading so I didn\'t think I would need 4wd for traction but a little way in I found I needed low range to go slow enough and at a couple of points I did need 4wd to continue forward.  Fun times.

I created an album in the photo gallery.

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »
Gr8 photos there GregMN, I think Alaskan Ogre should consider 1 or 2 of them for the next edition of the calender... hint hint
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

neen

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 06:57:41 PM »
Nice, another all silver rocky!  Keep the pics coming...

Also I sent you a PM

Offline GregMN

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 11:22:51 AM »
Picasa is gone.  New link to google photo album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LeT1s0DioZIJFr8G2

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 01:12:52 PM »
Fine looking rig!

Offline utherjorge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 06:56:04 PM »
Nice rig, and nice scenery!

Offline Gonzo_Descente

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
Because of a gasoline smell per my DW, I replaced the gas cap and that has eliminated it mostly.