Author Topic: ARCHIVE: Ball joint Spacers  (Read 2426 times)

Offline lioncubb

ARCHIVE: Ball joint Spacers
« on: May 12, 2011, 06:30:02 AM »
I am looking for anyone that has made these ball joint spacers, I just want the specs, so I can go to my local machine shop and get them made, these are what I am looking for below.

Rokbebop was this your design and did you make these????
[attachment=779]BalljointSpacers.jpg[/attachment]
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

neen

Re: Ball joint Spacers
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 12:27:19 PM »
How do ball joint spacers work?  Does this actually move the base of the ball joint above the lower A arm or do you have to purchase new ball joints all together?

alaskan ogre

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 03:49:18 PM »
You use the same ball joints, the ball joint spacers go between the ball joint and the control arm moving the spindle down giving you about the same amount of lift as you would by cranking up the torsion bars but you don\'t get the stiff ride. If you do get them made, have them made from a good aluminum alloy or steel so they don\'t crack.

Here\'s a good read on them being used on a Toyota which has almost exactly the same front suspension as the Rocky.

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BallJointSpacer.shtml

It would sure be nice to find a more popular rig that has the same bolt pattern for the ball joint.

neen

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 07:24:36 PM »
Nice, thanks for the link...that helped me visualize it a lot.  Besides the camber issue what are the negatives of this?  Seems like you could maintain the stock torsion bar tightening when using these which would be nice for a softer ride.

Offline heroicentaur

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 07:38:05 PM »
You gonna have a lot of positive campber

alaskan ogre

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 07:46:10 PM »

Offline roza31

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2011, 07:40:59 AM »
Not meaning to cause controversy but,recently I was getting some info from Brett Middleton from MRT about a planned suspension lift, this is a short part of the conversation. I\'m not sure if there\'s anything to or it or not or how this would happen as he didn\'t go into detail but Brett seems to know his stuff.

\"[Me] The plan at this stage is, once I\'ve done the 40mm lift, I\'ll drop the body lift back to help with COG, remove the sway bar and get some after market torsion bars. There\'s also a tech article on outerlimits4x4.com on extending droop using custom spacer brackets, doesn\'t look too difficult.\"

\"[Brett] make SURE you reinforce the upper chassis at the base of the screen then as the crush zone will CRACK\"

rokbebop

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2011, 08:40:40 AM »
Yes, I made these whilst working at a technical school in the metal shop after hours, and yes, it was my design.

Look... I have a schematic at home for these which i currently cannot find. I did trawl outers to find an old post that i made that had some  digits in it. You could feed these to a machine shop guy and they could basically churn a pair out for you without too much thought. They aren\'t going to be a great deal of help to some backyarder with a drill press.

My experience with them was that they make ur camber all wacked out and they dont provide any lift whatso ever. I personally couldn\'t be bothered dealing with the dramas that was created and I removed them and sold them on.

There was much discussion regarding this and Monmendoza, who seems to have not transitioned to the new site, swore by the fact that they work. The word was that they either create lift, or counteract the change in camber, or both when you crank your torsion bars to the max.

He was a knowledgeable guy and he had multiple ferozas that more most excellent, so what i believe is that in conjunction with a torsion bar mega crank, they work in some way shape or form

So? what are those co-ordinates?

\'the big hole is about 50 mil then from the center of that (axis zero point or whatever) drill 11 mil holes at:

x-17.5 / y-34.2
x+98 / y-38.2
x+8.5 / y+36.4
x+18.2 / y+33.2

then kind of cut around that\'

Go nuts :)