Author Topic: Half Doors?  (Read 2795 times)

Offline YoAdrianne

• Daihatsu Rocky Parts Northwest
Half Doors?
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:38:15 AM »
Don\'t know why, but I decided to take some old tweeked doors and make jeep style half doors.  Removed all the insides of the door with the exception of the door latch.  I can either install a push button on the top of the door at the flat area where a door lock button would be, or I was going to cut out the door handle depression and weld it into the door lower on the door.  I\'ll post pictures as they progress

[attachment=682]0420011701.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=683]0420011707.jpg[/attachment]
Anderson Island, WA

jeff56chevy@centurylink.net

alaskan ogre

Re: Half Doors?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 01:25:16 AM »
I like that!

We are addicts which is why nothing is ever \"done\". I almost have my front bumper and dash done again.

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »
Its always \"almost done\"  Decided to take the roof off too and make a T-top configuration.  This rocky was rolled and nothing lines up anymore.  So why not experiment!!
Anderson Island, WA

alaskan ogre

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 04:05:15 PM »
Don\'t put your dash back in till you see my new one. Should have it \"done\" this weekend.

neen

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
Half doors look great!  Since it will be a fairweather vehicle now you should go crazy and have a folding front windshield too!

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 05:41:18 PM »
OK everybody has to stop, I want to be done SOMETIME!! Actually I was going to take my doors off completely once the spring rains stop, the half doors are quite cool though and the fold down windshield idea........hhmmmmm

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 06:32:15 PM »
I put pullout pins instead of the actual hinge pins in the doors so I could take then off but found that everything that I had on the floor or under the seat rolled out onto the street.  Jeep door openings are not level with the floor so they can get away without doors.  Thus the half door idea came about.  After I get both sides done and painted to match my car, I will just switch out the doors during the good weather.
Anderson Island, WA

Offline brushhippie

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 08:52:59 PM »
Had not thought of that. I had a CJ5 when I was still a texican and loved the fact it did not have doors.

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »
Added an operational door handle.
[attachment=685]0421011630.jpg[/attachment]
Anderson Island, WA

Mcguire

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 07:59:19 PM »
Looks Cool I\'ve thought of doing that too but I dont have the know how or tools. Nice Job Windscreen folding down doesn\'t sound too fun, I dont like to eat bugs & feel the trees whipping my face :P  @ PalmerXJ/Alaskan Ogre  I\'ve got a set of white doors you could have your way with.

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09:35 PM »
Folding down the front windshield would require alot of engineering since the window is not flat like a jeeps.  Also the windshield wipers would have to be \"disposed\" of since they are in the cowling and not part of the windshield section.  Even when I had my jeep, I rarely lowered the windshield as you take quite a beating from the wind, bugs, rocks from passing cars.   :ohmy:
Anderson Island, WA

Offline YoAdrianne

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 03:54:23 AM »
Decided I didn\'t like the door handle sticking out so far as it can get caught on branches while trail riding so I cut out the original indentation where the stock handle went and welded it into the lower location.  Learned two things.  I need a TIG welder and dont cut the metal so close.  Gaps are evident in the picture and I need to fill those in before proceeding.  

[attachment=700]0423012143b.jpg[/attachment]
Anderson Island, WA