Author Topic: ARCHIVE: Idler arm for 91 Rocky wanted  (Read 1733 times)

NotCute

ARCHIVE: Idler arm for 91 Rocky wanted
« on: April 13, 2011, 12:54:52 AM »
Hello, I am new to the Rocky board and I own a white 1991 Rocky. I need the idler arm or a rebuild kit...my mechanic and I have exhausted our sources and cannot locate one at a fair price.

Can anyone direct me to a source for a correct part or rebuild kit? I have not thoroughly searched the board but I thought someone might direct me to the part or source as my Rocky is in the shop with the arm removed and I am ready to get it  back on the road.

Thank you in advance for your help...I can be reached at 678-231-7714 or my email at ayres AT mindspring.com

Kerry Ayres
Mableton, GA

NotCute

Re: Idler arm for 91 Rocky wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »
My repair guy says  I need a new arm assembly and not bushings....he says the ball/socket part is worn out...I mistakenly thought the  rebuild kit or bushings were for the ball/socket but are not....I still need a good idler arm if anyone can tell me where to find one I would appreciate it.

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 02:41:48 AM »
Quote from: \"NotCute\" post=2826148
My repair guy says  I need a new arm assembly and not bushings....he says the ball/socket part is worn out...I mistakenly thought the  rebuild kit or bushings were for the ball/socket but are not....I still need a good idler arm if anyone can tell me where to find one I would appreciate it.

Hi Notcute, Contact this guy by e-mail, his name is Andy Kollar of Kollar Racing Products. He imports all the steering components for our Rocky\'s from Australia, so you know that the quality is going to be good as they have very strict manufacturing laws for vehicles over there. He is the North American Distributor for Roadsafe Products (AUS). The products you order are not stocked in the US, but can be ordered with his next stock order, which is due in about 2 weeks.

His e-mail address is as follows:

sales@kollarracingproducts.com

Hope this helps you out.

Lioncubb

P.S part number is SX7601
[attachment=742]IdlerArmPitmanArm.pdf[/attachment]
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

Offline YoAdrianne

• Daihatsu Rocky Parts Northwest
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:25:58 AM »
Is there a difference between RHD and LHD for the idler arm?
Anderson Island, WA

jeff56chevy@centurylink.net

Offline lioncubb

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 04:12:37 PM »
Quote from: \"YoAdrianne\" post=2826172
Is there a difference between RHD and LHD for the idler arm?

No there is no difference, the idler arm is on the right hand side and the pitman arm is on the left hand side for the LHD cars, and it is exactly the opposite for the RHD cars. The parts are completely interchangeable.
To many to list here as the limit is only 300 characters

Offline YoAdrianne

• Daihatsu Rocky Parts Northwest
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:17:16 PM »
\"applause\"  You\'ve done it again!  Thanks
Anderson Island, WA

jeff56chevy@centurylink.net

DvR

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:55:15 PM »
You all may think I am nuts, but I was taking a gander at the Toyota forums and found them putting our idler arms on their yota 4x4s.

So I put an idler arm from a toyota 4x4 on my Rocky.  

I had to slightly waller the bottom hole on the new arm, then re-drill a new hole above the factory hole and throw a nut on there.
The stud on the idler arm from the Rocky is tapered, where as the toyota isn\'t. If you can get past the difference, this WILL work.

As a result of the arm being about a 1/2\" longer, it will have a toe-out effect on the wheels, causing the need for re-alignment.

Plus the idler arm is only $40....

Mcguire

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 09:06:05 PM »
Great find! I\'ve replaced the Idler arm on one of mine before & it was possible to find one but it took some trying.  We could probably find Toyota Idler arms all day & like you mentioned cheap.

Offline roza31

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 10:56:48 AM »
Just as a point of interest (or not), I took mine into a cv/suspension shop yesterday. The mechanic had some time available so he ordered in the uni joints, front and rear, and an idler arm. He had them there the same day and installed them straight away. Had her back that afternoon.
Here\'s a bit of a breakdown from the invoice -

U.JOINT DAIHATSU PART # K5A522   $25.06EA
U.JOINT MAZDA    PART # RUJ1500  $39.27EA
IDLER ARM        PART # AS.MISC  $84.00

Not sure if the Mazda uni was front or back but could find out if anyone\'s interested.

Prices in Aus$ which, indecently, is worth a whole lot more than US$ atm :laugh:

DvR

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 12:02:24 PM »
If those parts were available in the US we\'d be good.
But unfortunately auto parts manufacturers don\'t bring them over to the US, so we are forced to hunt, and search....

There is a guy on this forum though, Wilbur Post, who has parts imported from Australia.