Get Adobe Flash player
Welcome, Guest

relacement '96 feroza engine
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: relacement '96 feroza engine

relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826530

Hi, we need to replace the feroza's engine and are looking for a reasonable low k's motor, someone suggested that an 'applause motor will do the job, is this true and if so do they bolt straight in?
  • rod ellison
  • ( User )
  • Western Australia
  • Daihatsu Rookie

Re: relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826532

Hi Rod,
They're both HD motors and yes it is pretty much a bolt straight in with some minor part swaps. Here's a previous link on the same topic.

www.warfs.org/forum/13-mechanical/282555...e-into-a-feroza.html

Also the dizzy cap from the applause won't fit in so you need to swap it to the feroza one. Do a search on applause and you'll find more links if needed. Oh, and if you have the black box on top of your feroza's engine transfer it to the applause one as, with the applause cam, you'll loose a little torque. The black box is designed to increase mid rev torque.
  • roza31
  • ( User )
  • QLD
  • Supporting Member & Daihatsu Addict Level 10
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by roza31.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rod ellison

Re: relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826534

Hi Rod,

Out of necessity, just after I bought my Feroza and the motor gave up the ghost: 2 head gasket replacements and after the 3rd blown gasket, I threw in the towel and decided to just replace the motor. All I found was an Applause motor from a newer Applause model than my Feroza, which was, of course, good, as it had less miles on it than my old motor, 30,000 miles less!

Here are the parts that were different: valve cover (possibly because it was a newer model, the Applause had electronic distribution, and the coils were attached to the cover, making it totally different - and don't forget a new valve cover gasket), the oil pan, the oil sieve, the water pump, the oil cooler and its assembly (the Applause motor had none - but perhaps on US or Australian models this isn't an issue anyway(?) - in any case, we just built the oil cooler from my old motor onto the new one), the fly wheel (!) and starter, the engine buttresses and supports, and, of course, the other add-ons: alternator, steering vane, fan assembly, etc.) You don't need to buy the oil cooler and fly wheel new (unless defective), just use the ones from the old motor and do a good job on the fly wheel bolts (with washing and Loctite, as the manual says).

This is a good time to replace the water pump (unless yours is a new one), the timing belt with tensioner and to do a valve job (unless, of course, this was recently done on the Applause motor!) Check the oil seals to see if they're leaking - if so, now's the time to replace these, too.

And don't forget to seal the oil pan on right with high temp gasket gunk and front and rear gaskets and to put the pilot bearing into the fly wheel. As I wasn't there for these steps, they forgot these on mine and I ended up paying 400 dollars more to get it done separately afterwards!

Maybe with an older Applause motor, some of these, perhaps the valve cover (?) or something won't apply and it's the same as the Feroza, just observe - and when in doubt use the original even if it's more work.

Hope this helps. As far as more power and torque - it's supposed to be there, but I can't tell. Nevertheless and most importantly, it's been running well now since 2 years. Oh yes, and keep the black box and all else!

Best wishes,
Dennis

PS: By the way, mine is a '93 Feroza and the Applause was '96 or '97. Maybe there are other differences or less ones - Just observe.
  • naturelover
  • ( User )
  • Baden-Württemberg
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Daihatsu Addict Level 4
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by naturelover.

Re: relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826535

Thanks naturelover, I didn't realise there was so much more than what I'd said. Experience is really much better than just reading about it
  • roza31
  • ( User )
  • QLD
  • Supporting Member & Daihatsu Addict Level 10
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by roza31.

Re: relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826536

Hi Rod,

I just wanted to add, that some of these things hold true for a Feroza engine, too! I don't mean necessarily that the parts aren't compatible, but adjusting the valves, renewing the timing belt and tensioner, the water pump and the oil seals is always a good idea, especially if it was never done or done a long time ago (or if you don't know). A not built-in motor is always much easier to work on and you do want it to last, if you see what I mean, rather than having to work on it again after a bad surprise in six months. You'll pay enough for the new motor and don't want to take chances on having to pay more later, because you cut corners now.

Best wishes,
Dennis
  • naturelover
  • ( User )
  • Baden-Württemberg
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Daihatsu Addict Level 4

Re: relacement '96 feroza engine 2 years, 11 months ago #2826539

tanks for the info dennis, decided to go the jap import with warranty, just have to find one in W.A
  • rod ellison
  • ( User )
  • Western Australia
  • Daihatsu Rookie
  • Page:
Moderators: djcommie
Time to create page: 0.62 seconds